Chapter 5

Marinette is on cloud nine, her prank went exactly as planned, she was able to give Damian's driver the solution that'll get the stain out, and she has less homework than usual. The bluenette makes her way to the martial arts classes. The Parisian's skill has improved greatly in the short month she's been taking lessons. She greets Mark as he opens the door for her.

"Thank you, Mark! How has your day been?"

"I've been alright, you seem to be in a good mood, any particular reason?" Mark used to look at Marinette like she's crazy but now he always smiles and welcomes her, he's the best.

"I had a really good day at school."

"I don't see how that's possible, your school is full of rich brats."

"Not all of them are as bad as you think. And what about me? Do you think I am a spoiled little rich girl?" Marinette challenged with a smile, and the large man chuckled.

"Never in a million years, short stacks, you're different." The short girl smiles before walking into the girls restroom to change. Marinette decides to end the day with something special, tonight would be a good time to try out her new suit. The girl is anxious but excited to test it out, she still doesn't know what Tiki meant when she said the new design leaves room for 'surprises', but didn't want to start working as a hero until she was prepared. Hopefully the little assessment their instructor is giving them would prove the small, doe-eyed teen was ready.

Marinette emerged from the bathroom in her simple, black exercise leggings, a loose dri-fit shirt and some sandals to walk around with until she got onto the mat. The Parisian isn't surprised to see the majority of the class already there, but wasn't expecting to see someone new. The instructor isn't here yet either.

"Hey everyone, I'm gonna be your instructor for today. Gary is sick, so he asked me to come in, he said you were working on sparing?" Everyone nods, already stretching and warming up.

"Who wants to go first?" One of the women volunteered, as the man and woman fought Marinette took everything they did in, the instructor won after a few minutes of giving the woman constructive criticism.

A few other people went, getting their own advice from the man until Marinette volunteered. The instructor hadn't noticed her, looking surprised to see someone so young in the group. The girl walked onto the mat, slipping her sandals off.

Marinette patiently waits for him to make the first move, he'd done so with all the others- but this time he waited for her.

"Uh, did you want me to start?" The man lowers his center and nods. Marinette feigns left and dodges his block.

The fight goes on, the instructor is silent. He just looks focused on the fight, watching as Marinette dodged and weaved, doing anything and everything except come into contact with the man as he chases her around the mat.

Eventually, the new instructor tires, his stance loosens up as his frustration becomes clear. Backing her into a corner he wipes his brow before going in for a quick, hard attack that Marinette would have to catch unless she wanted to move out of the boundary of the mat.

Many of the bystanders flinch in anticipation for her being knocked off her feet and to the floor, but she never did, the tiny five-foot-nothing girl turns as she grabs his extended arm, using the man's momentum to flip him up and over her shoulder. The man lands outside the boundaries of the ring, flat on his back with his eyes wide. The Parisian had reacted out of reflex but the moment the man hits the floor Marinette realizes what she's done and uses both hands to cover her mouth as she gasps.