Chapter 47

"WHAT? No! It has to be one of you guys!"

"You never said it had to be a protégé, got something against him?"

"No, but-"

"No, no, you said I could pick." Batman comes in with an energy bar, handing it to Robin while Ladybug realizes that Tiki is gonna kill her. WHY DID SHE HAVE TO BET ON THE ONE KWAMII SHE NEEDED TO BE TRANSFORMED WITH?

"What is it this time?"

"Ladybug said she'd let us talk to her bug thing if you beat her at hide and seek. We can question it-"

"Her." Ladybug interjects, "And it's not happening, the wager was for video games."

"For half an hour!"

"Um, no. I said five questions."

"Well, I know but, obviously don't wanna question it-"

"Her."

"Without, you know, going through the pleasantries. We don't wanna be rude." She rolls her eyes.

"UGH. Fine, but no hide and seek, I'm not even allowed in some parts of the cave."

"Fine. Bats you wanna pick?"

"Pong."

...

Red Robin bursts out laughing, that was the world's first video game. Robin looks so bored, staring up at the ceiling.

"That relic?"

"You're joking." Ladybird's only seen the game once, it's like ping pong in 2-D.

"I don't joke." Ladybird walks to the bat-computer, trailing along the oxygen tank she still isn't allowed to take off.

"What are the rules? How many points is it?"

"Don't let the ball get past your rectangle, it's to eleven." Ladybird tries practicing moving the little rectangle she has to use and gets the hang of it but she feels a little worried. Batman's probably played the game before if he's suggesting it.

The game starts with the little white ball heading towards her, she passes it to the opposite side of the screen and Batman returns it. The ball goes a little faster every time they hit it, Batman makes the first point.

Ladybird makes the next one, thinking she's gotten a little bit of an edge. Every time she changes the direction the rectangle goes, it affects the direction the ball goes. So a small change he might not notice could throw him off his rhythm.

It works a few times, her lead growing, until she jerks the rectangle a little too much. She could feel his demeanor change the moment she was found out- after that it was a massacre.

He won eleven to four, she wanted to ask for a rematch but Ladybird knows she's been bested.

"I'll be right back."

"Not until your lungs are free of fear toxin." Ladybird does the test again and is cleared, but Red Robin doesn't let her forget about their bet.

"How long does it take for you to do the whole changing thing?"

"Couple seconds? Dunno, be back in a minute." Ladybird is quick to find her way out of the bat tunnels and detransform. Thank goodness she always has Plagg with her.

Exiting the tunnels, Ladybird swings a few blocks down before landing in some alley.

"Tikki, spots off."

"Plagg, claws out."

Tikki and Plagg switch places, the little red goddess already has her arms crossed. There's no reason for Marinette to be changing into Lady Noir.