Chapter 14 : To conquer a small mountain

It took five days of rest before Ling Xiao’s sickness got better. In those five days, Ling Xiao had completely handed over the Emperor’s care to Xiao Lizi.

He even told a portion of the Emperor’s likes to Xiao Lizi: how much he could remember and understand was all up to his comprehension.

However, since he hadn’t heard any bad news from the Emperor, the Emperor should be somewhat satisfied with Xiao Lizi.

Ling Xiao was the Eunuch Steward now, so the matters he had to take care of increased as well. From top to bottom, all the eunuchs in the harem were under his management now. It was to the point that even the concubine plate for the night was chosen by him to give to the Emperor.

In other words, he could brush past Mo Qi’s plate forever.

However, the Emperor was an individual with self-restraint. The Steward Xu before him was told not to choose a plate if he wasn’t ordered to, so unless the Emperor specifically told him to, Ling Xiao also did not dare to choose a plate for the Emperor.

Five days later, Ling Xiao took up his post as usual and put on the clothing that belonged exclusively to the Eunuch Steward. The clothing had the exact same pattern as the previous Steward Xu: a red robe with clouds embroidered with golden silk.

Ling Xiao had even melodramatically taken the horsetail whisk before he went to show his respects to the Emperor.

When the Emperor saw him, he sized him up a bit before asking, “How is your body?”

Ling Xiao saluted, bowing his head, “Thank you for Your Majesty’s concerns, your servant is completely fine now.”

The Emperor nodded in satisfaction and spread his hands, “Help Us change clothes.”

Ling Xiao accepted the order and smiled as he walked in front of the Emperor.

The Emperor looked at his movements: this small eunuch’s complexion was finally rosy, and his spirit also appeared much better. The new clothes he wore fit quite well. Even though they were still eunuch clothes, when he wore them, there was a special unique flavor. Perhaps casual dress would be even more fitting on him.

While the Emperor was thinking of that, he withdrew his gaze.

Ling Xiao had already finished helping the Emperor put on his clothes and stood to the side respectfully.

The Emperor swung his sleeve a little and placed both hands behind his back as he walked out. Ling Xiao, bringing a group of people, went to catch up to him.

The Imperial Garden where the Emperor went to practice his swordplay was already prepared. Of the eunuchs and maids that Ling Xiao found, many of them were from the day he had been rewarded and were the ones who brought the reward to him.

These people, in his impression, were all habitually silent and very hard working.

Ling Xiao was not like the Steward Xu, unwilling to cultivate a trusted aide in order to preserve himself. He would choose a few suitable people, show them how to attend to the Emperor and make sure they attended to the Emperor properly.

Letting them help him do some of his work.

If, within these people, there really were some that wanted to curry favor with the Emperor and claim credit for themselves, then Ling Xiao wanted to see if they had such an ability. Or, perhaps he could see if becoming the Emperor’s trusted aide was really that easy.