Chapter 9

Travelling deeper into the unforgiving woods, the trio arrived at a desolate cave.

"We're here. I'll get some wood from the back, so just sit wherever you'd like." Edgar informed his guests before disappearing elsewhere into the darkness

"Preferably I'd like to eat these fruits, not wood." Kairo jested

"I don't suggest you eat them raw." Edgar chuckled in response

Edgar's knowledge of the forest and comfortability with this cave raised some suspicions. Although Kairo was buying this act of kindness as though a gullible kid ready to be kidnapped after being persuaded by candy. Roselle sensed a threat stuffing his turkeys. Roaming deeper into the cave, Kairo took bites out on some of the fruits, ignorant to Edgar's words.

Falling to the ground in his tracks moments after taking bites of the fruits, Kairo landed face first as drool foamed out of his mouth.

"Humans, they never listen." Roselle teased at the lifeless Kairo laid on the floor

"This is quite some quality fruits you picked up, Edgar. I've had a fair share of these during one of my human research strolls back in my world, and it takes quite a toll on the human digestion. He'll be out cold the rest of night." Roselle continued

Picking up lumps of wood from the back of the cave, Edgar responded "I'm no forest fruit connoisseur, but it really does fill me up. Mushing it down, adding some water and voilà! It becomes harmlessly edible to humans. If only your boyfriend could have tasted it then."

As the friendly chatter went on, the night sky flew by and daybreak came.

Waking up with a frown as pain pulsed throughout Kairo's head, he saw Roselle and Edgar chit-chatting as they sat side by side looking out the cave.

"You're awake. Good. So how does breakfast sound?" Edgar offered as he noticed the awoken Kairo

Still feeling a little fuzzy, Kairo responded "Sure. Anything in mind?"

"I spotted a bear not too far away during one of my daily strolls through the woods. I bet you'll love bear meat!" Edgar declared as he dashed out into the forest

After asking for permission, Kairo sat next to Roselle and decided it was time to get to know each other properly. With no rebuttal, Roselle shrugged and started introducing herself again. Explaining how she had been living her life before coming here. Her past. Her dreams. Her hopes.

When she was done, she turned away from the sunlight escaping the gaps between the trees and lightly glanced at Kairo with the intent to let him know that it was his turn to speak.

With a forced smile, Kairo leaned back letting his arms support him. He responded in kind, letting her know that his arrival here was not by choice. How normal his life was. How normal it was meant to be. How his father threw all that out the window without gaining his consent.

At this point, they were cracking jokes at one another of how neither could comprehend why they would or would not give up their lifestyles for this experience till a towering figure overshadowed them.

It was Edgar. With a bear carcass on his back.

"This bad boy almost had me there. Who cares? Let's eat!"

Biting their lower lips and pinching their noses, Roselle and Kairo watched as Edgar attempted to cook bear meat.

" Wh-Why does it smell so bad?" Kairo asked with a nasal twang

"You'll get used to it in no time." Edgar assured

"I certainly hope not." Both Kairo and Roselle answered in sync

"Jokes on you. It's not everyday we get a feast like this. Plus, I don't wanna attract the wrong attention with this stench."

Punching the air, Kairo declared "Lucky for me. I've only got one day left."

"One day till what?" Edgar questioned, tilting his head

"Till I move on with my journey, of course." answered Kairo as if stating the obvious

Letting out a big sigh, Edgar finishes "Oh. That's a shame."

To his dismay, their departure would mean that he was going to be alone in the forest again. The displeasure was visible on his face. Even his tone softened as he whistled, continuing to roast the bear meat on his manmade grill on a winding stick standing on top of two other sticks holding it up with stones surrounding the fire under it.

Kairo sat up realising how the mood had changed and that he was the cause. He walked out of the cave stating that he needed to relieve himself.

Sunlight shone on Kairo's face, squinting his eyes as his vision narrowed. Straying further from the cave, his ankles brushed by the leaves of plants reaching towards the sunlight. Refraining himself from scratching the itchy sensation the leaves presented his legs, Kairo arrived at a spot to his liking. An area where tall grass covered himself from every angle. Now all that was left was for Kairo to do the deed.

"Ah. Now that I have planted those turnips, time to..." Kairo commented as gunshots could be heard fired at a distance

"ROSE!!!" He cried out as he dashed back to the cave

With each step he took, dark thoughts spiral through his mind. Tripping in his steps, he fell flat at the mouth of the cave. Looking down at her feet, Roselle squatted down with her legs closed and poked at the worried Kairo.

"Why the hurry, human?" Roselle chuckled as she continued to poke at him

Rising from the ground, he spoke of his worries and Roselle reassured him that both Edgar and herself were in the cave when those shots were fired elsewhere in the woods. With a sigh of relief, he embraced her. She was the first person he met in this world, which erased the possibility of the sense of loneliness in these unknown lands. Knowing that she was safe, Kairo's bowel was not the only thing that was relieved these past few minutes.

Edgar had already left the cave on his own to assess the situation before Kairo got back. Not long after Kairo's return, more gunshots were heard from the same direction as the previous ones. Compelled by their own curiosity, Kairo and Roselle dragged them out of the cave to find out what was going on for themselves.