Part Twenty Two

January 12

“Are you actually kidding me? All I wanted you to do is to come and try some cake. That’s it” I half yelled into the phone, leaning my forehead against the steering wheel. “Babe, I’m sorry. I tried to get work off, I did” Jeff pleaded through the phone. I rolled my eyes, turning the keys, the car beginning to roar. “Yeah. Okay, whatever” I sighed, “I’m going to stay at the beach for a couple days. I need a break from all this wedding stuff. I’ll call you when I get back okay” Hanging up the phone, I chucked it onto the spear seat.

I packed a few days clothes into a bag, shoving my belongings in it. I shoved it in the front of the car, hopping in and beginning the long drive. The wind blew through my hair as I drove along the open road, ‘If I die young’ playing on the radio. I sighed, my eyes stuck on the road. After 50 minutes of driving, I finally pulled into the driveway of the batch. I walked in the front door, dumping my bag in the room before walking to the back deck. The batch was right on the beach. It was somewhat of a private beach, no other houses for miles. My own little paradise. I slowly walked down to the water, sighing as the cold water hit my skin, walking in to just my ankles.

“Aren’t you supposed to be planning a wedding?” I jumped, looking behind me, “Aren’t you supposed to be on a world tour?” I half smiled at the bright haired boy. He shrugged, moving to stand next to me. We stood there in silence, watching as the day turned into night and the stars began to shine.

“How’s the wedding planning going?” Michael asked, the fire crackling, the dim light matching his fire red hair. I sighed, pulling the blanket around my shoulders, “Let me tell you how glad I am, that I only have to plan one wedding” I half chuckled, shaking my head. “That bad huh?” I nodded slowly, looking down at the fire. “It would be better if my damn fiancé helped” I half whispered.

“How’s the world tour going?” I asked after moments of silence, looking up at the Michael. “Yeah, Good, good. Just on break at the moment” He smiled at me, nodding slowly. “So where’s the fiancé?” He asked, looking back down at the fire, “We. Uh. Had a fight” I half whispered, looking down at my hands. “He just doesn’t seem to care as much about this wedding as I do” I half chuckled, shaking my head. “Maybe I’m just being stupid”

We made our way inside, sitting each end of the couch, my legs pulled up against my chest. “We were all pretty shocked when we found out about you two” Michael sighed, I looked at him confused. “Why?” I asked, a little hurt, “Because, as your best friends, we thought that you would tell us and we wouldn’t find out while you were in some interview” He said, his voice full of jealousy and anger. I looked down at my hands, “I’m sorry” I whispered, “I wanted to tell you, I just…” I sighed shaking my head.

He looked up at me, eyes hopeful, waiting for me to finish whatever it is I was going to say. I didn’t even know what I was going to say. “Well?” he asked, I sighed, looking down at my hands. “I don’t even have an excuse. I don’t know why I didn’t tell you. I wish I had an excuse, something to make me not be such a shitty friend but I just don’t have one” I continued to look down at my hands, waiting for a response.

“You’re a shit friend, you got that right” I gasped as I looked up at him, a giant smirk on his face. “I’m kidding” He chuckled, I rolled my eyes, throwing a pillow at him. “You’re such a dick” We both chuckled, I rolled my eyes. “I am sorry though” He nodded with a small smile, “I know. And I forgive you, like I always will. Because you’re my best friend, for now and forever”

*Present*

“Well uh Miss Williams. You are free to go” The doctor smiled at me, “I hope that everything goes well for you” I nodded with a small smiled as I packed up the last of my things into the small bag that I had. I checked out, making an appointment for a check-up, before making my way out of the hospital. I stood outside, looking around. I didn’t know where I was. I didn’t know where I could go. I didn’t know anything.

I just started to walk, I don’t know where I was going but I didn’t want to be near this place anymore. I was hopping as I walked that I would recognise somewhere or something maybe even someone. But the further I walked, the more I got confused and the more I got lost. I sat down on a bench looking around. There was no one. Tears began to fall as I shook my head.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, scrolling through the messages. I dialled the first number I saw, praying and hoping they would pick up. “Hello?” I smiled as the voice rang through the phone. “Calum” I breathed, “Calum I’m scared” I cried, “Elsa what’s wrong” He half whispered, “The hospital released me, and I thought if I walked around a bit, I would recognise somewhere, but I didn’t and I kept walking and now I don’t know where I am”

I looked around, looking for a street name or park name or anything. “I’ll be there soon” He whispered before hanging up. I slipped my phone back into my pocket. Putting my bag down in front of me, holding onto the handle. I sighed, looking at the time. 10:09 Am. I looked around once again, watching and waiting.

I watched as a car pulled up, and he got out. I stood up slowly as he walked over, hands in pocket. “Hi” I half whispered, he smiled a small smile, picking up my bag, chucking it over his shoulder. I followed him to the car, smiling as he opened the door for me. We were silent for most the journey home. Something felt off.

We arrived at my house, I think. He walked me to the door, I froze outside the door, putting my head in my hands. “I don’t have my keys” I whispered, shaking my head. I heard him chuckle, I looked at him confused. He walked over to the pot plant, digging in the dirt. He pulled out a box, handing it to me. “Open it” I looked down at the box, lifting off the lid. I sighed with relief as inside sat a key.

“Thank you for coming to get me” I smiled, looking at Calum on the other end of the couch. “That’s okay” He smiled. I looked around the room, looking at the pictures that filled the walls. I looked at the books and magazines that covered the coffee table. “Well, I better go” Calum began as he stood up. “No” I half yelled, standing up behind him. “Please stay. I don’t want to be alone right now” I whispered, he nodded, a smile growing on his face, “I’d be happy to”.