25. Accustom | عادی

Start from the beginning

"You know, two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen. The chemical formula for water."

He grinned, flashing his pearly teeth, as if he was the one who had come up with the formula.

"No, I was confused at the clownery."

She jibed back, her arms wrapped around her knees that were drawn to her chest.

"Studied chemistry for one whole year. Had to throw a shade."

He shrugged his shoulders, nonchalantly.

"Anyways, gave Safa her clothes?"

She inquired, turning her gaze back towards the lake, her chin resting on her knees.

"Obviously. I have no intention of wearing them."

He replied sheepishly, his eyes fixated on her. She just stayed quiet, prodding into her only object of interest.

"You miss her, don't you?"

He had been sensing this ever since Safa had left. The change in her stance wasn't visible at first but as the time dragged by, the uneasiness and gloominess in her behaviour intensified, too.

"Of course, I do. It's been a month since I've seen my best friend."

The sadness in her fragile voice wasn't hidden from him, neither did she try to.

"I mean I do know Ayyan needs her and I'm not saying I want her to come back. It's just that I really miss her. I think I'm allowed this much liberty to feel this way, you know?"

She heaved a deep breath.

"And no, I'm not being immune to that poor child. I pray for his health and quick recovery daily. These are two completely different feelings that I'm going through right now. But, forget it. You won't understand."

She was sure he was going to judge her for being heartless enough to only care about her friend, thinking she didn't give a hoot about the sufferings of that forsaken child.

"I do."

His whisper intermingled into the darkness of the night and she looked towards him with astounding gaze; her face contorting into soft expressions.

"Thank you!"

A genuine smile crept up her lips but didn't quite overshadow the worry etched on her visage.

He knew it was something more than just worrying about Safa and Ayyan. But what he didn't know was why his heart stung on seeing her in pain.

******

"I think you should go back to the valley, Mansha."

Safa broke the silence as she addressed Mansha whose entire focus was his brother enjoying his rides on different slides. They had taken him to the park situated on the front of the hospital. He needed to get out of the boring and depressing confinements of the hospital, reeking with staunch smells of chemicals and medicnes always. Fresh air and co-curricular activities were very much needed to keep his brain working.

"What do you mean? I can't leave my brother alone in this tough time."

Mansha was confused at this sudden suggestion.

Pushing the swaying strand of her hair behind her ear, Safa put her hand on Mansha's.

"I'm not asking you to leave him. I'm just asking you to go back and continue your studies. You have just joined the school and you were already lagging behind. These procedures can take years as far as we know and you can't just stay in the hotel and put a halt to your ongoing life."

She was right, Mansha knew. One way or another, she had to go back. Her entire life was there. Her home was there but her heart? It was here. In the city. Stranded in the war between life and death. How could she leave him behind? How could she move on when her baby brother was stuck behind?

But this is what life is. It goes on, with or without anyone.

"And what about you? You also have your job there; your life."

She asked as the cool and smooth wind caressed her hollow face.

Safa shrugged in return as her eyes stared far behind the horizon.

Her life? Oh, how could she tell her she didn't have any life to commence this conversation in the first place? Her life had been smothered long back and choked out of her. She was just a walking vessel. An empty vessel with no soul whatsoever.

"There are other teachers to substitute for my position. Besides, you'd want someone you know would take care of your brother while you are not around so my being here will give you that assurance and relief. And I'm not asking you to never look back. You can frequently visit him every week."

She replied back, leaving a brooding Mansha in her chain of thoughts. Her mind had gone all foggy. On the one hand, what Safa had suggested made sense and was the only rational decision, too; while on the other, her mind was at a constant battle with her heart.

******