40. Darkness | اندھیرا

Kindly, Vote and Comment!

He had come straight to his office after dropping Safa off to the annex. The cocoon of these four walls had always served as his sanctuary where he could think in peace and contentment. But this time around, peace was nowhere to be found as a thick cloud of uncertainty and insanity loomed over his head, devouring him wholly.

Plopped in his chair, his hands were wrapped around his aching head. The migraine was intensifying with each memory. Everything had become a blur now. His mind had become a fog. Right and wrong were two words he didn't seem to be familiar with, now. They felt alienated.

The canopy of stars peppered over the moon glared down at him in sorrow; at the darkness he had been kept that even the glimmers of light couldn't help him.

"My rapist."

These two words kept reverberating in his ears since the moment she had said them.

"My rapist."

He didn't want to believe her but he did believer her. The way she had gone so unbridled. But why? What was it that pushed her over the edge? He raked his mind and the image of that rose emerged in his brain.

That rose.

That damned red rose.

"My rapist."

He believed her. Yes he did. There was nothing to not believe anyway. He had seen it all with his eyes. The truth in her streaming orbs stained with fear. The quavering body of her, pleading to be relaxed and drift into deep slumber. The umpteen unsaid emotions dying to lash out. He had seen it all and he had seen it well. He had felt it like his own. An excruciating malady he couldn't evade now.

"My rapists."

And not only just her, it had invoked ample bottled up emotions inside him as well. This word alone had been his biggest and greatest enemy and he had been working on to get these monsters to their deserved destination ever since he had gotten on his feet. And he had faith that one day he'd succeed.

He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. As the heavy eyelids clamped shut, something inside him unfurled. The orange blossom scent of hers weaved with rich beans of coffee bloomed inside of him. A holy combination of purity and conflict, perfectly complimenting her from every crevice. He could still fell the imprints of her left somewhere within him while her pain whoosed like a venom inside him.

Just a short distance away, a lone figure snugged up in her own embrace replayed the same memory, leaning by the window; the focus of her eyes the moon, and the being, him. The lingering scent of musk and ocean had never left her side since the day she had gotten his jacket. She could sense it anywhere now as if it had stuck with her, promising to never leave no matter what.

With slightly queavering hands, she took a swig from her coffee. As the first sip made contact with her throat, the twisting knots in her bones uncoiled. With each sip splashing down her throat, that moment swirled away taking in the remnants of it along as well. The tension released itself being hit by the sanctity of the desolved beans as she felt somewhat better and closed her eyes.

With his head buried deep in his hands, his brain was still cruising in the bitterest memory, when the loud knock on his office door, pulled him out of his stupor.