Chapter 14: Her Past

“Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” - Soren Kierkegaard

*** *** ***

Annie's P.O.V
(Flashback. Three Years Ago.)

I was a third year high school student, also known as a junior, if you want to call it, at my school that time. There were only five minutes till the bell rang, signalling the students that classes were about to start. I was busy chatting with my friends, Aimee and Brittany, while the other students were busy chatting with their own group of friends. The bell rang for the second time, and everyone straightened up and went to their respective seats. Mr. Lee went inside the room and greeted us like usual. After greeting us, he announced that we will be having a new student today.

"Okay class, before we officially start the classes, I would like to announce that there will be a new student today. Please do greet him warmly. This boy came from Canada, and he's 3 years older compared to you guys so I request all of you to respect him alright?" he said and we all responded with a 'Yes,' "Okay boy, introduce yourself,” our professor asked the new student politely.

A tall lean boy, about six feet tall, entered the room. He had brown hair and a slightly pale complexion. He was what most of my girl classmates would call and classify as 'hot.' He had a light smirk on his face that only made him more gorgeous when he introduced himself. "Nice to meet you all. My name is Kaiden. I'm Chinese but I came here from Canada, so you can speak to me though English, or Chinese. I wish you guys can take care of me well." He finished it off with that smirk of his. The girls were practically squealing their heads off, awestruck of the new student.

"I guess that have their new eye candy now." I thought with a roll of my eyes.

"Thank you for that wonderful introduction. Now, please seat next to Ms. Annie Clifford. Annie, please raise your hand so Kaiden here can see where you are." Grumbling, I just realized that the seat next to me was empty, so of course the new student just had to sit next to me. How cliché. Oh, and that was sarcastic, by the way. I raised my hand and Kaiden saw me, still with that smirk of his. I saw the girls glaring my way as he sat next to me. Probably jealous that I got to sit with their eye candy. I just shrugged and felt a little bit proud of myself.

Kaiden greeted me and asked for my name. I debated against myself at first, but soon enough, I told him my name and we shook hands, which gave me butterflies in my tummies of you ask me, but I ignored it. After three more classes, with me getting stuck beside Kaiden all the while, it was finally lunch time. The girls surrounded him all of a sudden and I felt the need to help him so I asked him if he wanted to come eat lunch with me and he immediately complied. We went to the cafeteria, bought our lunch and went to our usual table with Aimme and Brittany. They were already there so might as well introduce them to Kaiden. As I introduced them to each other, I can't help but notice that his eyes were focused on Brittany all the time. Even when we were eating, his eyes has seemed to linger at her for most of the time.

I felt weird at the pit of my stomach. I may have gotten jealous at that time, so after we ate lunch, I asked Kaiden if he wanted to get to class early since I wanted to talk to the girls about something, and he said yes, surprisingly. After making sure he was gone, I asked Brittany first if she likes Kaiden. She denied it, so I felt relieved. Then, I told them that I like Kaiden and they said they were happy for me. I did feel that Brittany was faking it at that time, but I shrugged it off since I don't like doubting my friends.

The first day went off like that and when the last class was finally over, Kaiden who was beside me, asked me if I would like to hang out. And of course I said yes. I mean what the hell? Your crush just asked you out, who wouldn't agree to that?