Chapter Thirty Four

It's been three days since the argument, and things between Skye and Lux were still tense. The children were slowly getting better, but they all knew that the magic wouldn't last forever.

Skye leaned against the railing outside the guest hut, where she and Lux now resided. They seldom crossed paths, Lux stalking off early in the morning and coming back late at night, heading off immediately to his room. It left them no time for much needed conversations that were forgotten.

The emerald leaves blocked most of the sunlight, only allowing a few rare golden beams to pass through.

"Hey." A voice came up behind Skye.

"Hi Topaz," Skye smiled, turning around.

"You can call me Paz." Topaz smiled, "Everyone seems to call me that these days. Permission given or not." She managed a half smile. "How are you?"

"I'm alright, although Lux is still being an ass." Skye laughed. How about you? I don't think I've ever seen you without Damien."

Topaz chuckled lightheartedly. As much as it seems that we're conjoined at the hip, believe it or not we aren't."

Topaz's mossy-green eyes stared into Skye's for a moment before they both burst out laughing.

Once the laughter died down, Skye asked, "Are you and Damien in a relationship?" Curiosity laced her voice, and her blue eyes peered closely at Topaz.

Topaz cast her head down, a quiet "Hah..." slipping out of her mouth before looking up again. "Nope." she muttered.

"Oh." Skye's lips curved downwards. "You like him a lot though, don't you?"

Topaz nodded meekly.

At that moment Damien passed by them. Skye noticed how Topaz forced a fake smile onto her face and chirped a quick "Hi." While Damien barely gave her a glance, muttering a quick greeting as he passed.

Once he had passed, Topaz allowed her smile to fall and she collapsed back onto the railing with a sigh.

Skye noticed how Topaz seemed like she'd do almost anything to receive attention from Damien, something he seemingly rarely gave her.

"What about you and Lux?" Topaz asked, breaking the silence and startling Skye out of her thoughts.

Skye laughed. "Not in a million years." Yet Skye found a kindle of hope inside her. One she hadn't tried to decipher before stomping it out.

Dedicated to my dear friend @xtayaxx who's helped me in more ways than possible, thank you so much for being such an awesome friend <3