Chapter Twenty Seven

Blaise ^-^. If you haven't checked out the last chapter go ahead and check it out! Some interesting stuff goes down!

Blaise lay awake, the moon shining down on his pale face as he rested his head against the wooden headboard. His thoughts swirled around and blinded him from reality, memories playing in his mind like an open theatre.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. An empty, hollow feeling sucked away what little life was left inside him, like a bird without wings.

Blaise should've felt happy. He should've felt grateful, but instead the illness of desolation infected his body, refusing to let him recover.

The cool scent of the fresh ocean breeze wafted through the open window, bringing nostalgic memories along with it.

Blaise shut his eyes, attempting to fight his mind.

He was done with fighting. He was tired of fighting something that couldn't be defeated. He was tired of hoping for something that would never come true. He was tired of battling with Desmos.

So he wouldn't fight anymore.

He'd let fate pave a path for him, and he'd follow that road.

Blaise lifted his heavy eyelids at the sound of the door creaking open. He blinked at Alice who stared at him with wide blue eyes, the face of Skye now replacing the one of Alice's.

"What're you doing here?" He asked as he tried to smile, but the creases of his weak grin didn't reach his eyes.

Luke poked his head out from behind the doorway, walking in and standing next to Alice.

Blaise raised an eyebrow. "It's late, why are you two still awake?"

They hung their heads in guilt, and Blaise's lips tugged down into a frown.

They were both so young when it happened. They didn't deserve this. They didn't deserve anything that had happened.

"Will you tell Ms Rainn?" Luke asked quietly, his voice so soft it was barely heard. His dark blue eyes peering closely, on the verge of breaking under a wave of fresh tears.

"Shh. I won't tell if you go back to bed now." Blaise spoke soothingly, his lips curving up into a small smile.

"Okay! But... We had a question..!" Alice picked at her dress and looked down..

Blaise sighed, curiosity was any child's last name. "Ask away," he said, he knew that they would never stop asking if he never answered.

"Who's Skye?" Luke asked, his tone serious.

A wave of nausea swept over Blaise, he clenched his fists together so hard that his nails dug into his sweaty palms, leaving behind marks as he released his grip. How do they know? How is that possible? Do they remember her? No... They can't.

No. No. Blaise squeezed his eyes shut, aiming to block the onslaught of memories that kept punching his gut.

"Mister?" Alice asked, her voice a mix of curiosity and worry.

Blaise opened his eyes and shuddered. "I'm okay." He whispered.

I'm not okay.

Blaise looked up at Alice. "She's your older sister." He whispered, his voice just barely audible.

Alice's eyes widened in surprise. "I have a sister?'

Blaise nodded, dreadfully awaiting the question that he knew she'd ask.

"Where is she?" Alice asked, her mouth upturned.

Blaise's breathing stilled, his mind went blank, his teeth ground against each other. What the hell was he supposed to do? How did she even know? What the fucking hell.

"She's out there." Blaise plastered a fake smile on his face. "Don't worry, she'll come back."

"Really?" Alice's eyes lit up as she shouted.

What the hell did I just do?

Suddenly, there was a knock on the open door.

"I don't remember allowing you two to stay up." Rainn interjected.

"We're-" Luke started, before Rainn gave him a glare.

"If you really wanted to talk to Blaise, you should have asked me." Then she knelt down, next to the both of them, and covered her eyes.

"What if... He turned out to be... a ghost!?" She said, and then laughed. "Now go to bed, and please tell me before you decide to have a sleepover."

After the two of them rushed out of the room, Rainn turned to Blaise, her gaze angry before it rested on his face. She balled her fists and shut her eyes for a moment before sitting on a chair across from him.

"In exchange for answering the questions I ask you honestly, I'll give you some life saving advice. Deal?" She asked, her head tilting to the right.

"There isn't really any advice that could save me."

Rainn scoffed. "You sound like-... I-I'm talking about Luke's life."

Blaise furrowed his brows, sighed, and then nodded yes.

"Besides Luke, do you have any living family?"

"A brother I haven't seen in years."

"How are you related to Desmos?"

"I got kidnapped and became a general."

"Voluntarily, I assume?"

"I suppose." Blaise wondered where any of this was going.

"How loyal are you to Desmos?"

"... How do you want me to answer that?"

"Honestly."

"I'd take a dagger to the heart for the snake." He said.

"I can't tell if you're being sarcastic."

"Do you want me to be?"

Rainn pinched the bridge of her nose.

"How long have you been working for him?"

"Around three years."

"And you never once thought to visit Luke?"

Blaise stayed silent.
"If you and Skye could start over with the drawback of having to take care of Luke and Alice, would you?"

"What?" Blaise spit, his mouth turning sour.

"You don't have any hearing problems, do you?"

"Skye is dead. I lied. And besides, that's hardly a drawback at all."
"You two are the most annoying people to talk to."

"Two?"

"I ask questions, and I happen to have a mental disease that has rendered my ability to answer anything null." Rainn said, her voice filled with sarcasm. "At least until I ask one more question. Your other brother's name is Lux. Have you been in contact with him at all?

"Wh-what?" In response to Rainn's unwavering silence, Blaise answered her. "No. No direct contact."

"Thank you. Now, on my end of the deal, stop talking to Luke. If you don't, Desmos will take him to become another one of his mindless generals. It's hard enough to do when the kid has lieutenants in his lineage and gets along with Alice. I don't need you taking a liking to him, too."

And then, without another word, Rainn left the room.

A/N Sorry for the late update! Did your opinions on the ships change?

Hope y'all stay safe and enjoy!

-Manya