6. The Family

March

Saturday

My phone started ringing, waking me from my deep sleep.

"Hello!" I said with my sleepy voice, without even realising who I am saying hello to.

"You are still sleeping? We are on our way." My mom said. Shoot, today is Saturday, I forgot. I looked at the time, and it was passing 10.

"I'm waking up, mom," I said, and I heard my big sister complaining on the background.

"We will be there in 30 minutes sweaty, you should get ready," my mom said as Tshifhiwa kept on complaining.

"Okay bye," I said and hanged up the phone. I woke up and started clearing up the room, just a little touch up on the floor and everything. I took my towel and headed for the showers. In no time I was done while drinking a lot of coke right from the 2litre bottle, just something to cure the hangover. 

After everything I have done and the little time I slept, I still felt tired, wishing they weren't coming. My body felt like I got hit by a bus full of other buses. I don't think I am capable of doing any shopping. God help me.

I went downstairs to pick them up. It has been two full months since I saw my mom; this is the longest I have ever gone without seeing her. At boarding school, I always went home every other weekend, so I didn't have to miss her like this. She was so happy to see me, so was I. I hugged them both and then signed them in.

"How is school so far, are you coping?" my sister asked while we enter through the elevator. She is the one who recommended Wits University to me; she went here too but doing accounting stuff.

"It's great, so far everything is not that hard as compared to what people said. I am copying," I said, and my mom was just blushing hearing that.

"Good, don't listen to what people say. Most will say it's hard, don't listen to them because they just want you to fail with them. It might be hard for them but don't let it be hard for you," she preached, every time we talk, she's always encouraging me and motivating me. Sometimes it's just unnecessary because it's not called for at the time, but she is always right. She is the smartest person I know, and she's my role model.

We arrived in my room, Tshifhiwa brought me a gift basket of deodorants. That was nice, what I wanted. We relaxed and talked while they both tear my room down to get whatever I don't know they were looking for. My sister was just checking my clothes, telling me which suit the campus, and which doesn't. My mom, on the other hand, I don't know if she was trying to find maybe a hidden newborn or something, she was just all over everything, re-packing some of my stuff.

Like what we usually do at home, we talked, gossiped, our mom telling us the gossips we are missing from home. It was nice until I saw a corner of a ripped condom pack under my bed. It was not that clear to see, but if you look closely, you could see it, it was a matter of time my sister sees it. I walked toward the bed to at least push it a little bit further under, but my sister got my attention and saw what I was doing. She stared at me, disappointed, but said nothing.

"Come on, take me to the bathroom," she said as she already heading for the door. I knew she didn't want any bathroom but wanted to talk to me, not in front of mom. "Mama, we are coming, when we get back, we are going to the mall the day is not getting any younger, you should be ready." She finished.

I followed and stepped out; I tried to fool myself by leading the way to the bathroom whereas I knew she didn't want anything to do with the toilet "This way," as I walked past her, I said.

"What the hell, you lost your virginity just like that, you don't even have two months here, but you have already..." she yelled, in a low volume that only I can hear it. Now I regret why I ever told her my stories. She knows everything about my high school love life and why I chose to be a virgin then. I guess I didn't expect that when you grow older, you will need your privacy. I wouldn't have told her anything back then; now, I have to think about her when deciding my own life.