Chapter 45: Fated

"I've known for a long time, now." 

I almost choked on my wine when the King casually wiped his mouth with a napkin. As if he just announced taking a stroll in the garden. 

Nakangangang nakatingin kami sa kanya. Even the Queen. Muriel and Quinny told me the Queen knows already. Ares just continued eating as if he didn't hear anything. 

"You knew?" Exene uttered in disbelief. 

The king looked at Exene and shrugged. "That kind of deception won't work on me, son." He gracefully bites the meat off his fork. "And I didn't pry on it since I know you have your reasons for everything you do." He reached for Exene's shoulder and squeezed it. "You have always been so independent and I have always trust every decision you made. You've done certain things--priceless things for Oregon, for your family. A simple thing like that won't anger me." The king's eyes went to me and he smiled before his gaze went back to Exene. "And I knew you'd end up getting married for real, anyway." He grinned and everybody chimed in, teasing us. I felt my cheeks heat up. 

"So when is the wedding?" The Queen asked gently. 

"We haven't really thought about it yet but we want it as soon as possible." Exene looked at me as he held my hand on the table. Mas along namula ang pisngi ko. 

"Cool. Natasha will be back by then. She can attend your wedding this time." Pierce said while drinking on his wine. Napag-alaman kong may fiance na pala si Pierce. I heard she's currently in Carnes, taking up her Master's Degree. I couldn't help but feel awed when Muriel told me Natasha was an assassin. 

"That's great! Muriel, tell Cross to visit sometime. Ask Zyon too, Samantha." The Queen said and then he looked at Ares who is eating his meal gracefully. I know what the Queen is thinking. She is itching to ask Ares but decided not to. Exene never mentioned Ares having a girlfriend. Maybe she's wondering when he'll have one. Well, it's not really something to be rushed about. And I bet that's what Ares is thinking. 

"Res, when are you going to introduce us your girlfriend?" My head whipped to Exene. Nakangising nakatingin ito kay Ares.

"You have a girlfriend?" Halos sabay na tanong nila kay Ares. Even the king was looking at Ares na tila hindi ito mkapaniwala sa narinig. Judging from their reaction, Ares is the last person who would get attached to some kind of romantic attachment. Muriel once said he is only interested in his books. 

Ares just calmly sipped on his wine and said, "I don't." Just with those two words, he dimmed the eyes of hope from his family. 

"I'm going back to Carnes after the wedding. Better make it as soon as possible." 

Pierce rested his chin on the back of his hand as he looked at Ares. "Oh? Going back to Carnes? Is there something interesting there, Ares? Or maybe...someone?" 

Ares' fork stopped mid-air as he gave Pierce a sharp look. The latter raised both his arms. "Just asking." 

"Do you have a secret girlfriend there, Ares?" Muriel asked and Quinny chimed in. The dining hall once again filled with laughter as they continued to tease Ares. The latter just continued eating not minding the surroundings.  

* * *

Exene squeezed my hand as he drove his car back to the manor. The dinner ended late and now we're going home late. I checked the time. It's already at 10 o'clock. I needed to change Levi's bandage. He's still resting on his chambers, recovering fast, unsurprisingly.

Napatingin ako kay Exene when he turned the car in the opposite direction. "Where are we going?" Tanong ko sa kanya. He only smiled at me. 

"Hey, if you want to roam around, we can do it tomorrow, I have patients to attend to."