Chapter 8: Company

HINDI KO NA MABILANG kung ilang lakad na ang nagawa ko. I've been walking around the house, uncomfortable, uneasy. I've been looking at the giant clock too for how many times and they're still not back. I have to be prepared. I'm not stupid to believe they'll be back unharmed. So I boiled leaves, made ointments and prepared the sterile clothes. I also got materials from Exene's ... office.

The servant had served me my fifth tea for the night, just to calm my nerves. And when I heard the roar of an engine, I rushed to the foyer's door only to be stopped by a servant. She shook her head. So, I waited. I waited for the door to burst open. And when it did it revealed four men. Save for some blood splatters on their faces and clothes, none of them looked seriously harmed. All of them have tiny cuts on their faces and arms. I heaved a sigh.

"Well, that's a disapointment." I said earning me an incredulous look from the four of them.

"You are a cruel lady." Exene muttered before he sauntered close enough for me to see his state clearly.

"You smell like blood." I muttered looking at his blood splattered clothes and small wounds.

"That's my perfume. Eau de recent injury." He raised his arms where I could see a wound much larger than the rest.

I eyed the men at his back then my gaze went back to him.

"All of you, in my clinic. Now."

I did not look back to see if they followed.

* * *

The next morning, I was woken up by the sunshine pouring all at once as a servant pulled it open. I groaned.

"My lady, I am afraid you have to prepare."

"Prepare for what?" I hid my face along the sheets.

"The Duke has someplace to go and you are to accompany him."

"Tell me again how many generals he has in his command?"

"Three, my lady."

"Then tell him to bring one of those three and let me have my rest. I slept very late last night because of him."

"That last statement could cause a lot of misunderstandings." My head jerked up and whipped to the door where the Duke was standing, all in his...royal glory. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"What misunderstandings?"

"Oh, for one, people might think I've kept you up all night doing—"

"Shut up."

"You're the only one who tells the Duke to shut up."

"You're the one who told me to address you informally. What is it that you want?"

"Get dress first. I can see your chest from here." A cocky grin flashed across his face. I grabbed the sheet and covered it on my body. Damned thin clothes. He stood straight from leaning agaisnt the door frame and looked at his watch.

"I'll give you twenty minutes. If you're still not dress even then, I'll come up here and dress you up myself." He smirked before he walked away.

I buried my face on my pillow and shouted. When I got up, I could've sworn the handmaiden was doing her best not to smile.

And while I was taking a bath, it was very fast but I cursed his name loud enough for him to hear from the foyer.

* * *

"Please don't tell me I am to ride that horse." I gripped my loose pants tightly. So there's a reason why the handmaiden made me wear these.

"Yes, you will. Unless you'd rather walk."

"Asshole."

"I'll have the stableboys call for Black. You'll ride with him." He said and easily climb atop his horse. He pulled the reins and the horse snorted.

"As much as I wanted let you ride with me in this horse, I am not sure you are ready to marry, yet."

"What?"

"If the people see you astride my horse together with me, they'll have the impression we have some kind of ... special relationship. We don't want that, do we?"

"I don't have plans to ride that horse with you." I gave him an incredulous look.

He smirked and signalled one of the stableboys to come.

Moments later, Luca St. Delphi came. He cocked his head slightly to my direction as his way of greeting.

"Morning," he said, winking at my direction.

"Where's Davis?" I asked.

"Sorry to disappoint you, my lady, but Davis is out of town." Luca chuckled as he saw a frown on my face.

"When did he leave?" Exene looked at Luca who climbed atop the horse with ease. I grimaced. How am I supposed to climb up there?

"Before dawn. He's really eager to pursue these bandits." Luca shook his head and Exene rubbed the neck of his horse.

"After what that bandit did to him and his family, we can't blame him."

"I hope he'd bring back Apollo's head." Levi looked at me and offered his hand. "Are you going to just stand there and listen to people's conversation?"

I crossed my arms. "Listening to people's conversations—" I huffed a breath. "I got here first and you started talking. It's not my fault I heard all of it."

He just chuckled. Tinitigan ko ang kamay niya bago ko siya tiningnan sa mata. "So the people won't make bold issues if I ride with one of your generals?" I asked Exene but my eyes were fixed on Luca's smirking face.

"Exene is the Duke. He's the only one who became a Duke without even a wife. The people expects him to have a wife soon enough. If they see you astride that horse," he pointed to Exene's glorious mare. "People will expect you to be the Duke's bride,  their soon-to-be Duchess. That would be a mess, isn't it?"

"Where is Davis Black?"

"You ask too much questions." Exene muttered and I gave him a dirty look.

"And you keep too much secrets."

Luca just shrugged. I breathed and reached for his hand. With one swift motion, he hauled me atop the horse, in front of him.

"Where are we going?"

"Around the city." Exene answered.

"Why?"

"There's a famous store selling herbs. You might want to check it—which plants are you going to plant on the greenhouse. It's almost done."

I blinked. He could've said it earlier or much better, yesterday. I shifted on my seat.

"The horse senses if the rider is nervous." Bulong ni Luca.

"I am not nervous. I am uncomfortable."

"The horse senses that too."

"I don't care. When we get back, I will walk."

"That would be a long, long way, Lady."

Hindi ko nalang siya pinansin. Instead, I focused my attention on my grip on the horse's neck.

* * *