Chapter 16: The Warning

THE NEXT MORNING, as soon as I woke up, I went straight to the infirmary kung saan naabutan ko ang mga pasyenteng kumakain ng agahan. They are going home today. The palace guards have almost finished reconstructing some of the damaged houses and the villagers have the urge to help. It is their home after all.

I changed the bandages of some of the patients bago dumating ang sasakyang magdadala sa kanila pauwi. Every single one of them shook my hand, muttering their thanks before they hop into the vehicle.

"Hindi namin makakalimutan ang kabutihan ninyo." An old woman said while holding my hand with both her hands.

I just smiled. It is my job to take care of the sick, after all. I waited until the vehicle was out of sight bago ko napagdesisyunang bumalik sa loob. But I was stopped on my tracks.

I wasn't really oriented on how to greet royalties properly. And come to think of it, I haven't really treated Exene, the twins or Davis Black the way I should treat them. Now I have no idea how to behave in front of the royalty now in front of me.

"Liliana West." The princess said, as if my name is something she'd heard but can't remember.

"Your Highness." I managed a small bow. 

She chuckled. "Canary. Or you can just call me Cana."

The way she looked at my dress did not escape my eyes. I can't read the expression on her face but by the looks of my dress, I can easily guess what she's thinking.

"After all...you're going to be my husband's concubine. We should at least get along.

Well...maybe Exene is right. I'm not sure if that's just how she talks or is she just not really...nice.

"Exene's going to be the one to choose who's going to be the wife and the concubine—if he wants one."

"I'm sure it will be me. I'm a Princess. He's the Duke."

A very cliché way to down my spirits. Try harder, Princess.

"Of course." I cracked a smile, leveling my gaze to hers. "If you may excuse me Cana, I have something better to do than stroll around."

Her smile faded and before she could say something, I walked past her without even bothering to bow.

Now, that's another reason for me to help Exene.

"What did you two talked about?" Luca asked as he pushed himself off the wall saka ako sinabayan sa paglalakad.

"You saw that? You must have seen she approached me first."

"Doesn't answer my question."

"Nothing important. Not enough to pique your interest." I looked at him sideways.

He raised a brow and flashed a grin. "Oh? So you know what piques my interest, Lily of the West? I didn't know you'd be so interested in me." 

"Shut up."

His sounding laugh was all I heard when I entered my clinic/laboratory only to find Exene Magnussen already inside, casually leaning on my table, a couple of vials on his hands. He immediately put it down when he noticed me entering the room. 

"I'll expect Levi or Black pissing me off later. The dear Princess and Luca already did their part. Now you. What is it?" 

"You're getting good at talking comfortably." He pushed himself from the table.

I gave him a blank look before I bowed my head dramatically. "I've committed a grave sin, Your Grace." 

I heard him chuckled. "I came here to tell you that your greenhouse is ready."