chapter three!

𝕶𝖎𝖓𝖌, 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

* * *

*    *    *

* * *

(  𝖆 𝖓𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖑 𝖆𝖕𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖆𝖈𝖍  )

Lydia's operation had been a success. When no one was in her room, Melissa snuck Isabelle in for her to check on the wound. Isabelle knew it was a pretty good job but she could help to increase Lydia's comfort and recovery time.

She made sure Melissa had shut the door properly before placing a hand over the bandaged area. While her hand and eyes glowed, Melissa was amazed at the sight but quickly became concerned when Elle winced and pulled back her hand.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" She saw Elle rub at her side, the same place where Lydia's wound was.

"Yeah I'm fine, just a bit out of practice." Elle collapsed into the chair next to her best friend's bed. "Did you know I have a specialty in healing magic?"

Melissa smiled in fascination. "Sounds wonderful. You could probably beat me at my job."

Elle chuckled but shook her head. "No one could beat you, Mrs McCall. Yeah, never had much practice with it on my travels." Elle stared out the window, lost in her own head. "Never had time to learn or practice healing. Never had time for a lot of things. Always had to be ready to go...."

Melissa was going to ask more questions but Isabelle snapped herself out of her head. "Best time to practice is now though, I guess." She smiled but Melissa could see through Elle's eyes well enough that her brain was haunting her.

* * *

Isabelle had just popped out for a glass of water when Lydia started to wake up. "What are you doing here?"

Parrish, who was sat in one of the chairs next to the bed, turned to face her and smiled. "Officially, I'm here to gather eyewitness testimony. Unofficially, I'm trying to find something to watch. But the only thing that comes in is this kung fu movie. You like kung fu movies?"

Lydia flickered her eyes to the TV. "Do you know how to do that?"

Her concentration broke as the door opened. "Hey, cousin."

Lydia frowned. "What?"

Elle laughed as she re-entered the room. "Only family can come in, so I'm your cousin."

Lydia rolled her eyes at the effort Elle made to make sure she could stay. "Parrish can fight."

Elle nodded appreciatively. "So can I."