23 | Sparrows

Y/N

_

"SO YOU FINALLY said the L-word," I grinned, "took you long enough."

I think I could mark this moment down as one of the best moments of my life. Not because Five finally figured out how to say a simple word, but because I clearly had an advantage over the conversation.

I felt like a powerhouse. Whatever I said in that moment was actually important. My voice was never treated like that for 13 years.

"How long have you been standing there?" Five stammered, his mouth open like a codfish.

I shrugged, "I'm not telling you."

"Debatable, but can we talk outside?"

"Why?"

Before Five could respond, I saw all of his siblings staring at us with large, beady eyes in interest. They were clearly eavesdropping, and so were the rest of the customers and the waitress.

"Nevermind," I laughed, "lets go."

Turning round, I pushed open the glass door and stalked out into the chilly New York air. It was already starting to turn to dusk, and the night life was already coming to full peak.

Five wandered out after me, his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his uniform.

"I'm sorry," he said, coming to a stop, "for everything."

I cocked a brow in suspicion, "you can't be sorry for everything, Five."

"But I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"And?"

"Blaming you."

"And?"

"Running out on you...?" He mumbled, scratching the back of his head in confusion, "was there anything else?"

"And, for comparing me to a mannequin?" I smirked, "don't think I forgot about that one."

"How did you...nevermind."

He looked cute confused, his nose slightly pink, and his hair disheveled. I smiled. Neither of us were sure what to say. I wanted to just stay out there in the diner parking lot, but it was clear there were other things we had to do.

"Did you really mean it?" I asked, rocking back and forth, "what you said in there?"

Five glanced back up at me, "about the thing?"

"Yeah."

He nodded his head, "I do."

"You're not mad at me anymore?"

"I don't think I could be," he smiled, "I never knew love could do that to someone."

I opened my mouth to respond, but my eyes drifted towards the door behind us instead. Klaus, Diego, Luther, Allison, and Vanya were all creeping out in a single file line slowly. They were trying to be sneaky, but it couldn't be more obvious.

"Really?" I sighed, "you couldn't give us just one moment alone?"

Diego rolled his eyes, "it's not like we want to hear what kind of cheesy conversation you guys are having."

"It's not cheesy!"

"I still don't want to hear it," the man frowned, "but we have to go."

I tilted my head, "go where?"

"Home."

"Home can wait a few minutes!" Five exclaimed, spinning around in annoyance, "I'm literally trying to tell [y/n] I love her, and you guys keep getting in the way!"