4.Sorrow

Gildinwen found the day particularly exhausting as her father was getting worse. He was constantly coughing, and obviously in great discomfort. Many times she tried to get him to stop and rest but he would not have it.

"You heard the Herald," he rasped, "The Alliance is at Emyn Muil. The battle will soon be joined. I must be there. I must....." his voice was lost in a fit of coughing.

"Alright, Father but when we get to Linhir, I'm going to find you a proper lodging."

It was nightfall by the time they reached the town, and the weather had worsened. It took a great deal of persistence on the part of Gildinwen, and most of the rest of their money but she finally found a fisherman who allowed them to stay in his drying shed, and even threw some firewood into the bargain.

"It smells." complained Amarnon.

It did.

"I know, Father," sighed Gildinwen "but we're lucky to find anything. At least it's warm and dry."

She prepared a nourishing broth for him, and gave him some more tea to sooth his cough. Soon he was sleeping fitfully, while Gildinwen listened wakefully to the wind howling outside.

'What am I doing here?' She thought.

The next morning, despite a storm starting to blow in from the Sea, her father insisted they go on.

"Please Father! Let us just rest here until the storm blows over, there will be few places to stop between here and Pelagir."

"No, my child. I must get to the battlefield. Gil-galad awaits me."

"But you need to rest! Just one more day, then you'll be stronger and we'll make better time."

"No! I am going and that's an end to it." Amarnon pulled his cloak tightly about him and started off down the road, leaving Gildinwen to hastily repack their belongings and saddle the horse.

"Come on, Loreglin," she said, taking the reluctant animal by the bridle and leading him up the road. The horse pushed his head miserably against her side, and she smiled sadly at him, "at least you've enough sense to know this is not weather to be travelling in."

The wind blew against them all day, and every step was a struggle. Their hair and clothes whipped about them, their cheeks rubbed raw and their lips chapped. The road was nearly deserted now, and apart from the odd traveller they met no one. Amarnon's cough worsened until he could hardly draw breath, but he would not allow Gildinwen to stop before nightfall. As she had predicted the wide coastal grasslands of Lebennin provided little in the way of shelter, and the best she could find was a hollow in the lee of some rocks."

"We'll stop here, Father, I can't find anywhere better."

She reached up to help him dismount and he fell exhausted into her arms, unable even to bear his own weight upright. Biting down her fear, she helped him to sit with his back against the rocks while she got a fire going. His skin was scalding to the touch, his face flushed.

"Come on Father, lie here beside the fire. I'll make something to eat."

He mumbled something incoherently.

"I'm sorry, Father?"

"The Banner." he croaked, "Where is it?"

"It's right here," she indicated the bags.

"Bring it to me."

She brought him the tightly rolled package, and feeling it safely under his hands he relaxed a little. Hastily she made some hot tea, and coaxed him to drink a little, but she could not get him to take any food.