19 May, 1982 - Apologies

Start from the beginning

It was so weird. So very very weird, to sit here again.

Like nothing had changed.

And it was oddly comforting to know that, oddly nice to be tucked into this corner and know that at least some bit of the world remained untouched and untainted by the hells unleashed by the war.

So Lavinia spent the next hour or so sipping tea and watching the kitchens prepare for dinner and remembering times that were long, long gone. Remembering the moments she'd spent at Hogwarts that had been... good. She wondered vaguely how she had let herself forget these times. How she'd managed to convince herself that everything that had happened in this castle was dark and awful or at the very least, bittersweet now that the world had changed so much. But this... this was just like it had always been and the air and atmosphere were as warm and welcoming as she remembered.

It made her think that maybe, just maybe, those years during the war, those years with Sirius, might not have been entirely lost either. Maybe there were moments in there that, like this, had never been tainted. Moments that she might be able to look back at and smile about without any grief or pain or suspicion. Maybe. If she bothered to look for them. If she bothered to try. Of course, these days, there were a lot of things that hung on that particular 'if'.

So for now, Lavinia sighed and sipped her tea, filing this consideration away for later, for a time when those ifs felt a little more feasible.

Some time later, Lavinia departed the kitchens feeling better and lighter than she had in months. She thanked Dinser for his company and service and the elf puffed out his chest in pride before bowing low to her and asking her if she would come back again. And Lavinia, slightly to her own surprise, had agreed without hesitation. Because, she realized, she would like to come back here. She would like to sit in that corner and watch the elves busying themselves around the kitchen and smell bread baking and see all the work behind the scenes. She would like to remember that some things never changed, no matter how much the world fell apart.

So it was that she arrived at the Headmaster's office only shortly before dinner. Which was lucky, actually, because she realized that she had absolutely no idea what the password to the hidden spiral stair was. Thanks to her lucky timing, however, she stood staring at the gargoyle for only a little while, before the gargoyle sprang aside of its own accord and the door opened to reveal none other than Dumbledore himself, waiting patiently as the spiraling steps descended like a muggle escalator.

He blinked curiously at her as he stepped off the moving stone and onto solid ground.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Miss Selwyn?" the Headmaster asked, inclining his head politely as he watched her from the other side of the threshold.

Lavinia stared at him for a moment, mildly surprised that he was being so... cordial. Last time they'd talked she'd ended the conversation by demanding he leave her home and never come back. She'd expected at least a little chill to his tone, or perhaps even a telling off. But then, she supposed, Dumbledore, talented legilimens that he was, had been in a position to realize just how broken her heart and soul had been when she'd said those words. So perhaps he'd forgiven her for them.

"I have business with Severus Snape," she said finally, keeping her tone rather formal and hoping Dumbledore wouldn't bother to question what exactly that business was. "I thought you might know where I could find him."

Dumbledore showed only a hint of surprise in the form of eyebrows that raised over his half moon spectacles as he surveyed her. "He is in this castle," the Headmaster supplied mildly.

"What?" asked Lavinia, frowning. Was that luck or... Or what? She had no idea why Severus would be at Hogwarts. Unless Dumbledore had somehow known she was coming and exactly what for, but that seemed a little far fetched even for the old man. No matter how much he liked no nose into other peoples' business, Lavinia didn't think he would go that far.