Ride Home

Damian's P.O.V.:

"And right here," Monegel says, pointing to a picture, being projected onto the whiteboard, "is the mitochondria..."

I stay seated at the front of the class, the only seat that was left when entering the class. Next to me, Todd sits, looking down on his phone. I block the teacher's voice out of my head, thinking about the conversation from the lunch table.

"A male?" I ask Grayson.

"Yeah. A guy named David Richardson," Grayson says. "He was a nice guy."

"So the principal's been lying to us," I deduct.

"That is," Todd says, "if she even is the principal."

"What do you mean?" Drake asks. "Blonde lady with a personality that makes you wanna jump off a cliff? Isn't that her?"

"Yes," I answer. "Very accurate."

"That's not what I meant," Todd says.

"It could be a fake," Grayson says quietly, looking around the room.

"A fake?" I say. "Tch. Surely this school isn't as stupid as to let a fake into the school."

"They were able to fool, Replacement," Todd deadpans. "I wouldn't be surprised if these guys were easily tricked."

"I don't know if I should be offended or not," Drake says.

"Why?" Todd says. "It's not like I complimented you."

"I'll take it as a compliment then."

"If anything," Grayson says, "We should keep an eye out. We still don't know what's going on or what they're planning."

"As in, they," Drake says, "You mean?"

"We don't know," he answers. "It could be someone from the outside or there could be someone in this school who's undercover."

"You two are undercover," I point out.

"Shut-up, Demon Spawn," Todd says.

"Just continue to look for more information. We'll talk more about this on the way home. But right now," Grayson says, taking out his phone, "it's almost time for the next class. Keep an eye open and don't get in trouble."

"But getting in trouble helped us figure this out," Todd argues.

"For once," I say, "I agree with the zombie."

"Why, thank you, Demon Spawn. For that, I'll let you, calling me a zombie, slide."

"Just gather more information without drawing any attention," Drake says, getting up from his seat. "See you guys after school."

With that, the bell rings, indicating the next class.

"These are the ribosomes. Can anyone guess what these guys do?" Monegel asks.

"Tch. How much longer until this class ends?" I growl.

"You have ten minutes," Todd answers.

I turn my head towards Todd to find his staring intently at the screen of his phone. I take a glance at Monegel to find him distracted, listening to one of the student's answers. Looking back at Todd, I ask, "What are you looking at?"

"Focus on the class while I focus on this. I'll tell you once this class is over."

"Tch. Why?" I ask, annoyed, and offended at his refusal to tell me.