60 | animal inside

Start from the beginning

When Violet, Peyton, and I play any game, we play hard.

We place about three towels about a hundred feet from one another in a triangular shape. The goal is to gain points by getting the frisbee and one member of your two-person team on your towel. Cakewalk.

It doesn't take long for my competitive aggression to come out. Violet passes the Frisbee to Tommy, and I body-slam him into the sand, snatching it out of his stunned hand. Violet yells at Tommy to get his fat ass off the ground, but I'm already passing the Frisbee to Gray. He runs onto our towel, and we get the first point.

"Suck on that, bitch!" I yell, jumping in front of Violet's furious face. "Who's your mommy? Who's your fucking mommy, Violet?"

Violet fumes, pulling on her braids as Tommy wraps his arm around her. "Kitten, it's just a game. They only have one point," he says to her, trying to kiss her forehead.

"One point that we don't have! Tommy, you just let her take it from you!" She swats Tommy away and crosses her arms.

He throws his hands up. "She tackled me!"

"Then you should've punched her and taken the Frisbee back. Come on, Tommy, you love punching people," Violet says, stomping her foot. Tommy laughs, rubbing her shoulders. I stick my tongue out at her. "This isn't over, River," she growls, then stomps off dramatically.

Gray comes up behind me and kisses the top of my head. "Good work, babe. I won't lie, your competitive side is kind of turning me on."

"I know. My back hurts from carrying this team, though," I tease, smiling widely. Now that I've had the taste of winning on my tongue, I'm hell-bent on bringing this game home. "Now stop distracting me. 'Griver' plays to win."

The game resumes and Gray tosses the Frisbee to me. I hold my hands out expectantly, standing inches from our towel. Then Peyton lunges in front of me, jumping higher than humanly possible and snatching it out of the air. Cackling, she falls into the sand and throws it to Sadie, who is already standing on their towel.

Violet laughs wildly, watching me as I fume over the intercepted pass. "How does it feel, River. Aw, are you gonna go cry to your little boyfriend? Wah wah," she laughs, enjoying my reddening face. Gray hugs me, trying to calm me down, but I'm tense with competitive rage.

"Vi, you can't laugh. At least Riv and I have points," Peyton yells, getting in on our little feud. "You and Tommy are officially losing."

That shuts her up. I laugh, but Peyton kicks a load of sand toward me. "I'm not on your side, Riv. The other enemy of my enemy is still my enemy. I'm gonna make you eat shit," she says.

"Eat my ass, Pey," I yell at her. Violet adds, "Yeah, mine too!"

"What the hell is going on?" Tommy groans, rubbing his hand down his face.

Another round goes by and Vi swipes Gray's feet out from under him to secure the Frisbee. She's ten feet from her towel when Peyton tackles her, throwing them both onto the sand. They wrestle ferociously, kicking, slapping, pulling, biting. At that point, I decide not to go for the Frisbee and just stand back to watch them tear each other apart.

Peyton gets the upper hand and holds Violet down with her forearms, slowly sliding the Frisbee from Violet's hand. "I was right, Pey," Violet growls. "You really are a top."

While Peyton is laughing at Vi's comment, Vi takes the opportunity to knock Peyton off her and steal the Frisbee. She sprints to her towel and does a happy dance. "You're my bitch, Peyton! You're my little bitch!"

"Fuck you," Peyton yells.

From his position laying on the sand, Gray casts a concerned glance to Tommy, a 'what-did-we-get-ourselves-into?' look on his face. Tommy shrugs and helps him up, showing good sportsmanship that I never could.