Chapter 10

One week later.

Mitch's funeral was going to be the worst thing ever.

Scott was supposed to speak to the people attending. The entire kingdom would receive manuscripts of his speech.

No pressure.

He sighed, adjusting his suit. He didn't want to go through with this, but he knew he had to.

He went out into the hallway and met Mitch's parents outside the throne room. They gazed at him sadly, and he nodded silently at them. Then, the three of them started walking to the courtyard, where the funeral would be held. Afterward, the casket would be taken through the city and buried right outside the walls, where the rest of the graveyard was.

But, as the troika went down the hall, a messenger ran up to them.

"The doctor wants you to come to see him," he said. "He has been waiting for the body to begin decomposing to send it to the embalmers, but it has yet to. Finally, he got a suspicion, and did some tests." He took a breath. "Your son is alive. He has been asleep the past several days. The body has been kept in a moist environment to encourage decomposition, so he has received barely sufficient water to remain alive so far. He is surviving without food so far, but he needs care. We must call off the funeral."

No one spoke for a moment. Then, Scott did.

"Can we see him?"

The messenger nodded, and
Scott rushed past him.

_

When Scott arrived where the doctor was, he saw the man sitting on a chair beside the bed where Mitch was. The doctor held a cup of liquid, which he poured into Mitch's mouth a few drops at a time.

"What is that?" Scott asked.

"He needs food," the doctor explained. "He will wake, do not worry. But now, he is living in a dream."

Scott nodded, sitting beside Mitch on the cot. It was comfortable, with a mattress that was just hard enough to support the prince. There was a blanket draped across Mitch's unconscious body. It was thin, but soft. He still looked so cozy and peaceful.

Scott held Mitch's hand, and looked at his perfectly serene face.

The doctor smiled. "I think he's aware of you. He must like that."

Scott simply nodded, focusing on Mitch's face.

"Please wake up," he whispered.

Almost immediately, Mitch's eyes fluttered slowly, then blinked open.

"S-scott?"

***

I liked writing this. The next chapter will be the last.