Chapter 8

Scott sat up, looking at the door.

Kevin was standing there, looking at them.

"Is there something you should be announcing soon?" he asked, rephrasing his previous question.

"No," Scott said.

Kevin frowned. "You said you love each other."

Scott nodded. "We love each other in an entirely platonic way." He shrugged. "We have said that before to each other. You simply did not hear."

Kevin nodded silently. "Well, you sent me to find out who is trapped in the courtyard."

"Yes," Mitch said, sitting up.

"The king and his friends," Kevin said. "I got that information from Kirstin, who was there as well. She was standing by the fallen tree, trying to figure out how to get past it."

"Was it blocking them completely?" Mitch asked.

"I could hardly see her," Kevin said. "There were a lot of branches in the way, too thick to cut."

"Send someone to rescue them," Mitch said.

Kevin nodded hesitantly.

After he left, Scott turned to Mitch. "Should I have told him to stay quiet about what he heard?"

"I doubt anything can come of it," Mitch replied.

"What happens if I do cross any lines?" Scott asked.

Mitch shrugged. "I would do my best to protect you, but I have no idea."

Scott sighed. "Okay."

Mitch turned onto his side. "I am exhausted," he complained. "Bring me tea for my nerves, then let me rest."

Scott nodded. "I will be right back."

***

Comment your thoughts and predictions!