Chapter 6

Kirstin was working in the gardens in the courtyard.

She sighed, sitting against a tree trunk. She missed doing this alongside her best friend. She wondered what had happened. She hadn't seen him since he was taken away by a messenger.

She thought about it. He was friends with the prince. What if he had done something to him and got put in prison for it? What if he had been killed?

She shivered, and decided that was silly. Scott was a good person.

Still, she couldn't help being afraid for him.

She looked at some weeds.

Kirstin reached out and grabbed a weed, pulling it out. 

She sighed. This would help her to de-stress, but it could only do so much for her.

_

Scott rushed into the courtyard. 

Kirstin looked up as he approached, and gasped.

"Scott!" she ran to him, hugging him. "Oh, how I have missed you."

"I have missed you, too," Scott said. He chuckled. "Found a shady spot?"

"Yeah, but it is still quite hot out here," she replied. "Fortunately, those clouds should be over here soon."

"Well, I want to bring you to the prince's tower," Scott said. "Technically, I should be with him. But he is napping, so I have time. But I have to be there for when he wakes."

"Am I allowed there?" Kirstin asked.

"The prince said to take you there," Scott said. "We can sit in his parlor."

She shook her head. "You have to explain some things," she said.

_

The two of them got to Mitch's parlor, and sat down.

"So, you were chosen as his caretaker?" Kirstin asked.

"Yes," Scott confirmed.

She smiled. "So, it was good. How has it been?"

Scott shrugged. "Stressful. I have a lot of rules. The prince just wants someone to keep him safe, and to not be lonely, but his father thinks that I will try to get much closer to him than a friend."

Kirstin stared at him. "How far does that go?"

Scott chuckled. "I am not allowed to sleep in his bed. Whether he is also in it, or not."

She laughed. "That does take it pretty far."

Scott pointed at the painting over the mantle. "That is how he is all the time. Well, almost. Wrapped in blankets, with his head down and his position slouched. He has a hard time functioning. Anything too strenuous could seriously harm him."

She gazed sadly at the painting.

"His life must be so difficult."

Scott nodded. "It is. Yet he retains his sense of humor, and his ability to be happy."

She shook her head. "He must be amazingly resilient."

"He is," Scott agreed.

_

Meanwhile, Mitch was sleeping peacefully.

Suddenly, a loud sound from outside woke him. He gasped, sitting up.

Frightened, he reached to the side and yanked hard on the bell-pull.

_

Scott and Kirstin heard the bell, and Scott jumped up. "I have to go to the prince," he said to Kirstin.

"Do you need me?" she asked.

Scott hesitated, but not for long. He didn't have time to wait. "You can come."

The two of them ran to Mitch's room, and Scott rushed to the bedside. Kirstin stayed by the doorway.

"I heard a noise, and it woke me up, and I am scared, what is it?" Mitch cried.

Scott went to the window, and looked outside.

"Probably thunder," he said, and Mitch started crying again. 

"Storms always frighten me."

Scott turned to Kirstin. "Get him tea. You can find it in the kitchen near his tower."

"Any kind?" she asked.

Scott told her what to put in it, then sat by Mitch, holding the prince's head in his lap and whispering to him.

"Everything will be fine," he whispered. "Just relax, and the storm will pass. Shall I go and tell the king not to expect us?"

Mitch grabbed Scott's wrist, with a surprisingly strong grip. "No. Stay. Please."

Scott nodded. "I will."

Kirstin returned a few minutes later with tea.

"Why is he so worried?" she asked Scott.

"Because I normally stay in quiet places, and loud noises always shock me," Mitch replied. "Also, I am frequently in a constant state of falling asleep, and loud noises keep me more aware than normal." He smiled at her stunned expression. "My eyes were closed, but I was awake. Please address me with your questions, and Scott will answer some, but I prefer to have the chance to answer."

"It is a common mistake, according to him," Scott said to Kirstin. "He really likes to let me answer things, so normally, he will not mind it. But just now, he apparently felt comfortable enough to respond himself." He turned to Mitch. "I knew storms frightened you, because I know a lot about you. She knew I know things such as that, so she saw that you were resting your eyes, and thought to let you rest."

"I was simply explaining why I should be asked," Mitch said, clearly displeased with Scott's defense of Kirstie. "Do you have my tea?"

Kirstin gave him his tea, and she and Scott went to sit in the bay window.

"You may need to tell his father not to expect him," Scott spoke quietly so Mitch didn't hear. "He wanted Mitch and I to see him later."

"You use the prince's name?" she asked, sounding slightly surprised.

"Yes," Scott replied. "We are friends. Now, please just find him. He should be somewhere with friends. Ask the king to forgive us for not going to see him."

"I will," she said. "I can come back after that, and tell you what he said?"

"Please," Scott said. 

Kirstin nodded, and left the room.

Scott looked over at Mitch. It was starting to rain, and he looked tired from the sound.

"Sleep well, my prince," Scott said.

Mitch murmured something. Scott chuckled.

Suddenly, they both heard a crash outside. Scott, by the window, heard screaming.

Mitch sat bolt upright. Scott rushed to his charge, and held him.

"What happened?" Mitch demanded.

Scott went to the window, looking into the courtyard.

"Oh, no," he whispered.

***

What do you think happened?