Chapter 3

Scott was sitting in Mitch's parlor, waiting for the bell. It took only a few minutes, luckily.

He got up, excited. He wanted to know what they had talked about.

Mitch was sitting up, continuing to drink his tea.

"What do you need?" Scott asked, standing at the foot of the bed.

"You may be summoned by my parents tomorrow," Mitch said. "Do not worry. Too much."

"What do you--" Scott was cut off.

"Dismissed!"

Scott sighed, bowing and leaving the room. Mitch had told him not to worry. Unfortunately, that was one thing that he couldn't do so easily.

_

The next day, Scott told Kirstin what Mitch had told him.

"Maybe he said not to worry because it is for something good?" she suggested. "I have no idea what, however."

"I hope it is something good," Scott told her.

"So do I," she agreed. "I would hate if anything happened to you."

_

It took a good portion of the day, but finally, near noon, a messenger came for him.

Scott looked back at Kirstin as he went with the messenger.

"Good luck," she mouthed. He nodded, letting her know he got the message.

When they were out of sight, Scott turned to the messenger.

"What do they need?" he asked.

"I have no idea, but it must be important," the messenger responded.

"Why?" Scott asked.

"Because the prince is there," he answered.

Scott tensed. Mitch was only present at monumental occasions. When a part of the palace was opened to the public, Mitch was there. That was almost a year ago, and no one outside the palace had seen Mitch since. Plenty of people who lived and worked in the palace hadn't seen him since.

They reached the doors of the throne room, and Scott considered bolting. He didn't know why he was here. What if he had accidentally committed treason or something?

That is silly, he told himself. How could I do that?

And yet, the thought remained with him. He didn't really hear what the messenger said to the guards, and he barely registered the man wishing him good luck. He noticed the doors opening, and a guard walked with him into the large room.

Just a moment before this happened, Mitch was sitting on a slightly smaller throne than his father, off to the side of the room. He was across from his sister, Jessa, who was looking quite bored.

They heard a knock on the door. Jessa sat up, and Mitch straightened up as much as possible.

The doors opened, and Scott entered the room. Mitch noticed Jessa starting to check him out.

Mitch shook his head slightly, then looked at Scott. He frowned. The blond boy looked nervous. He was shaking, in fact.

Mitch sighed. He felt bad for him, but it would be alright.

He felt his head spinning and closed his eyes. He was so exhausted. He just wanted to doze off....

"My prince!"

Mitch awoke with a jolt. Scott was standing beside his throne, and was practically carrying Mitch.

"You fell asleep," Scott said. "You started to slide off your throne, and I needed to catch you and wake you."

"I apologize," Mitch said. "Would you help me back on? We can continue."

Scott fought back a grin. "Actually, my prince, we are finished. You must have fallen asleep a bit ago. I have been here for almost an hour."

Mitch looked at his father. "What did you decide?"

"We shall see," he responded. "I approve of your choice a little more, but I still do not approve all the way."

Mitch nodded.

"Do you know why you are here?" he asked Scott.

Scott shook his head. "I was asked questions. I was never told what I was brought here for. Will I be?"

"Of course," Mitch said, climbing off Scott's arm onto his throne. It was too high for him. It was meant to be. But he would have liked it lower.

"May I leave?" Scott asked, looking at the king. He didn't hesitate to answer.

"Help Mitch get back to his room."

Mitch sighed. "I just got here," he whined, but he put his hands on Scott's shoulders. "You have to carry me. I am light."

"Okay," he said, and Mitch swung his legs around Scott's waist. 

Scott held onto him comfortably, and Mitch rested his head against his friend's shoulder. Scott carried him to the door.

"Once he is safely in his room, you may return to wherever you were before this," the king said.

"Thank you," Scott said, leaving the room.

Mitch fell asleep again while Scott was carrying him. But Scott shifted him, waking him up, when they got to Mitch's tower.

"We are here," Scott said.

"Thank you," Mitch said. Scott nodded, putting him on the bed.

Mitch curled up under his sheets. Scott tucked him in.

"Give me a book," Mitch instructed.

Scott went to the shelf. He got a book, and handed it to Mitch.

"What color are my eyes?" Mitch asked.

"I do not know," Scott admitted.

"Why do you not know?"

"I never looked at your eyes. Servants are not meant to."

Mitch smiled. It was true. They were told not to make eye contact.

"Thank you," he said. "But you may look at my eyes." He paused. "You once said to me that paintings still capture the glint in my eyes. Who told you?"

"Kirstin's mother," Scott said. "Not being a servant, she has made eye contact with you."

Mitch nodded. "Thank you."

"You said I could look at your eyes?"

Mitch laughed. "Yes."

Scott lifted his gaze, studying Mitch's features. Mitch allowed him.

Scott bowed. "Thank you."

"You are welcome, and dismissed," Mitch said. Scott bowed again, then left the room.

Mitch smiled, curling up and finding his page. He had full confidence Scott would be chosen.

***

What do you think Scott might get chosen for?