Chapter 9

This a dramatic one, so get snacks and enjoy the show.

***

An hour later, everything was fine.

Scott was sitting on his bed, watching Mitch across the room, sipping at his tea.

Mitch was obviously exhausted, but he refused to sleep until he knew what had happened. He was lying down, his head propped up on the many pillows around the head of his bed so he was partially sitting up. His eyes drooped, and his breathing was shallow. He desperately needed rest.

Well, soon he would be in a sleep that was very deep indeed.

Eventually, there came a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Mitch called, not even seeming to care who it was.

Kirstin stepped into the room.

"Kirstie!" Scott said excitedly.

She smiled at him, then turned to Mitch. She was soaked, but she seemed fine otherwise.

"Everything is fine now," she announced, wringing out her hair. Mitch pouted at the water dripped onto his beautiful carpets, but he said nothing. "But my prince, your father's friends are leaving. The chance to say goodbye is now."

Mitch nodded. "Well, be good and tell them goodbye for me," he said.

Kirstin looked surprised, but she nodded, bowed, and left.

"She seems sweet," Mitch mused. "Perhaps I will take her as my personal servant. After all, once I have married, I will want two personal servants because my wife will have two personal servants."

Scott started. He had never before thought about Mitch being forced into  an arranged marriage, but that was the custom for royalty. After all, they had to strengthen their bloodlines.

"I never thought of that," he confessed. "Marriage? You sound so certain on the matter."

"Well, I am already engaged to the cousin of a princess of another kingdom," Mitch said. "Her name is Esther, and we have been in contact. She knows from my letters that I will be with you throughout our relationship. When she comes here, she will bring her own lover, so there is no concern."

Scott frowned. He hadn't realized it was so common for royals to have their own partners. Mitch's parents were in love, so this was really the first time he'd ever heard of this.

Mitch turned on his side suddenly, breathing heavily. Scott knew what to happen when this happened, and he started to place his hands on Mitch's chest, pressing down. Mitch cried out in discomfort, but his breathing grew shallower.

Scott sat back, watching as Mitch's chest slowed. Then, unexpectedly, it stopped.

Scott furrowed his brow. "My prince?"

Mitch looked at him, and sighed. "I may not live to my wedding," he observed calmly.

Scott gasped. "No, no, no!" He said, panicking. " You must live!"

Mitch shook his head. "We both knew this day would come. Why are you acting so surprised?"

His voice was calm as ever, but even more slurred than usual. Scott looked at his face, and saw the peace there.

He couldn't help wanting to cry, but he tried to stay strong.

"Hold me," Mitch said. "And sing me to sleep."

There was nothing commanding in his voice, but there was a quiet assertiveness that made Scott obey immediately.

He moved to Mitch's bed, lying beside him and holding him. He cleared his throat of the tears, and thought.

 Then, after a moment, he knew what he would sing. It was a song of longing, but there was a message of hope within the words. A message of certainty. Certainty that your time away from the one you love would be only temporary, but you're willing to sit back and wait. There had never been a song written that was more appropriate for this instance.

"I counted the stars tonight,
Oh how they shine so bright,
I gather them all, so we perfectly align
While we gaze from far away.
And separately watch the day
Come rising across the horizon in our minds.
But now I know,
My heart is strong,
Where you belong
Is by my side.
So will you hold,
'Cause time is cold,
But in your soul
I'm standing by.
I have waited a thousand years,
And now that tomorrow's here,
I will shout from the mountain top
Our hearts belong near.
And we've traveled land and sea,
Our beacon the love we keep,
But when we unite,
This will all have been our dream.
And now we know,
Our hearts are strong,
Where we belong
Is side by side.
And so we'll hold
Each other close,
And in our souls
We're standing by.
And so we'll hold
Each other close
And then we'll know
We're standing by."

As he finished the last lines of the song, he pressed his hand to Mitch's chest.

And felt nothing.

He sobbed, kneeling on the bed. His body shook, and he allowed it to. He had loved Mitch, and now his lifeless body was lying on the bed right beside him. He looked asleep. His eyes were closed, and his face looked calm and peaceful.

And that was the cruelest part of this all.

Mitch was totally at peace. He was perfectly happy, and would be for all eternity. But those left behind would have to suffer.

Of course, everyone had known he would die eventually, and probably not live very far into adulthood.

Scott gazed up at the ceiling.

The only thought he had for Mitch was, you did what was best for yourself, but I would do anything to be with you. Please, make it worth it.

With that, he rose. Now he had to explain to Mitch's parents that their son had died in his arms.

***

Comment your thoughts!