Chapter 9

"Riley open this door right now and give me them." Aaron yelled.

"What is he talking about? How does he know you live here?" I asked.

"I took Aaron's earbuds, also he lives around the corner of this floor. I ran into him a couple times." Riley said, opening the door.

"Where are they?" Aaron asked. He had on a black Hockey Fights Cancer and a pair of red pants.

"In my bag, come in and I will grab them."

He rolled his eyes at Riley and came in. On the back of his shirt there was something that said, Aaron and Kyle Hijons and the number 90. Riley came back into the room with his earbuds.

"Never take anything of mine again." Aaron said.

"Aaron, I was wondering why your name is with a guy name Kyle on a Hockey Fight Cancer shirt?" I asked.

"Oh, Kyle is my older brother. We both have had cancer, I survived but he died. When he died I changed my jersey number from 56 to 72 in honor of him because he was number 72 on his team."

"Oh, can I ask what type you guys had?"

"Sure, my brother had lung cancer and I don't talk about what type I have."

I could see a tear coming out of Aaron's eye. He asked where the bathroom is and Riley told him. He ran into the bathroom and I hear the door slam shut.

"Let's sit down and give him a little space." Riley said. We walk over to the couch and sit. She turns on NHL Network and watch the Minnesota Wild brothers play against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

A little time later, I heard Riley's keyboard and someone playing it. I look down to see Riley still on my chest.

"Do you hear that?" I asked.

"No" she said.

I grab the tv remote and mute the tv.

"Now I hear it. It sounds like my keyboard."

We get off the couch and walk to her music room. We see Aaron sitting at her keyboard, playing. When he was done, Riley started to clap and it must of scared him.

"I'm so sorry that I started to play your keyboard without asking. I..."

"It’s fine Aaron but where did you learn to play like that?" Riley asked, cutting Aaron off.

"Therapy"

"Why did you go to therapy?" I asked.

"When we first found out Kyle had cancer. The stage it was in, I knew he was going to die. So I started to cut myself. My brother walked in on me one day doing it and he told our parents. They set me up with my therapist and they taught me the piano. They said instead of me cutting myself, to go play the piano. So my parents bought me one but every once and a while I would still cut myself."

I didn't know how to respond to what Aaron just said.