22.2 The Party

It took me a few seconds to realize that I wasn't imagining it. Slowly, I turned my head to the source of the voice. Blake freaking Andrew leaned on the kitchen counter behind me with the signature smirk plastered on his face. He was still in his work attire: a grey dress shirt and black pants. His long sleeves were pulled up, just right below his elbows.

"You came," I blurted in a high-pitched voice. Had I just squealed like a girl spotting an ice-cream booth in dreadfully hot summer? I could punch myself now.

"Have you been expecting me?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. I mean, no. I mean, you're Garry's cousin. It makes sense that I expected to see you at this party too, right?"

"True." He nodded as he glanced at the backyard through the wall. "Too bad I couldn't manage to get here earlier. Seems like I've missed all the fun."

I followed his line of sight and saw people laughing, screaming, and dancing, having the time of their lives. The party was getting even crazier. "Nah, you haven't missed that much. I believe they won't stop partying until dawn."

"I believe so, too," he said. "But I'm not in the best shape to party tonight. I won't last that long."

"Because you're that old?"

Blake barked a laugh. "You can say that." His laughter was infectious, urging me to smile, almost grinning. He looked indeed tired but it didn't make him any less hot.

Darn alcohol. I smacked myself inwardly. "Heavy day at work, huh?"

"Sort of. Also, the traffic was awful. I almost decided to drive back home." Blake smiled and heaven knew how hard it was to prevent my eyes from staring at his lips; the lips I devoured last week...

Not wanting to embarrass myself by shamelessly gawking at him, I turned around to turn on the faucet. "Why didn't you just go back and get some rest then?" I asked before drinking the water slowly.

"Then I wouldn't be here, talking to you."

I choked, and it wasn't a mild one. I coughed vigorously while gasping for air. The next thing I knew, Blake was next to me and patted my back firmly yet gently. Once I managed to catch my breath, he rubbed my back up and down.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah," I answered once I could find my voice again. Realizing how close we were now standing, and that his hand was still on my back, I scooted away until my butt hit the kitchen island. He seemed to notice what I was doing since he also moved back to his previous spot.

Did he just imply he came here to talk to me? I shook my head. Before my head started to over-analyze his every word, I settled on one logical explanation. He needed to talk to me and clear up our situation since his career and his relationship was probably on the line.

"Right. Actually, I'd been wanting to talk to you, too," I replied, biting my lower lip. "That night in your car, I shouldn't have–"

"Blake," a female voice came from the front door, followed by the sight of a blonde woman I'd grown to dislike. "We still need to grab the rest from your car."

Daphne stood by the door with a gigantic gift box in her hands. She was also still in her formal work outfit and with a pair of ridiculously high stilettos. Once she saw me, she smiled widely. "Hi! We meet again! Ginny, right?"

"It's Jenny. Hi, Daphne." I forced a smile.

"Oh, sorry! So, how's the party?" She strode to us and placed the box on the kitchen island.

"It's great," I replied, pretending to look interested in her gift box. To be truthful, I just couldn't look her straight in the eye without replaying the scene at the bar a week ago. "Such a gift you've got there."