Chapter 05

New Found Friends

We walked through the parking garage while listening to Gally. He was telling us how he made it out of the maze and why he was alive. While everyone was catching up, I stayed focused on our surroundings. People laid their eyes on the lot of us, staring, watching, and plotting to claim what they wanted off our backs.

"After the maze," Gally began, "I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realized I was immune, patched me up, and they brought me here, to Lawrence."

We headed down a ramp. Blankets and clothes were hanging over the railings, like trash. We came to a clearing that had fences up and guys handling guns; they were watching us.

"This group's been at war with WICKED ever since they took control of the city," Gally said, "But WICKED can't hide behind those walls forever."

I glanced at him, "They're all big and powerful scums. Why didn't you guys just take them out sooner?"

He glanced back at me, "Days gonna come, and they're gonna pay for what they've done," he kept walking.

He stopped again and turned to face us - even more people were staring.

"Listen, uh, he doesn't get a lot of visitors," he began, "So, let me do the talking. All right? And try not to stare."

I furrowed my eyebrows and locked eyes with Newt for a second before following behind Gally. He led us to a door, and with a squeak, it opened. Gally walked in first, taking his gun off of his shoulder. The cool air engulfed me immediately. The sweet aroma of lavender satisfied my nose, and the soft sound of classical music filled my ears. The wall next to us was a chain-link fence, and there were shelves with plants on them. 

The place seemed quaint, creepy, but still seemed homey. Gally walked to a table that was next to the stairs and set his stuff down. There were two men standing in the rays of the sun over by another large table covered in plants.

"Gally," the guy bending over spoke, "Glad to see you made it back. Jasper told me what happened."

"It was a slaughter. There's nothing we could do against those guns."

"No, but they can only poke the hornet's nest so long before they get stung," the man who was speaking lifted a flower up to his nose and sniffed it. "Now, who are these people? Why are they here?"

I glanced at Gally, waiting for him to say something.

"We need to get into WICKED," I said taking small steps forward, "Gally said you can get us through the walls."

The man glanced over, "Gally should know better than to make promises that he can't keep."

I looked back at him.

"Besides, that wall is only half your problem," the man said. The man grabbed his IV stand and slowly walked towards us, "Getting inside WICKED is impossible."

"There might be a way now," Gally butted, "But it doesn't work without Thomas."

Thomas stepped forward and pushed me behind him.

"Is that so?" The man said, "Do you know what I am, Thomas?"

The guy came into the light to reveal his face. On half of his face, he had black veins and warts the size of marbles. His left eye was completely white, and he had no nose.

He leaned closer into Thomas's face, "I am a businessman," he retracted, "Which means that I don't take unnecessary risks. Why should I trust you?"

"'Cause I can help you. You see, if you can get me through those walls, I can get you what you need."

"What is it that you think I need?"

"Time," Thomas said, "Every last drop."

The man scoffed and looked at the blue liquid in his IV bag, "Is that what I need?"

"WICKED has something we both want."

"I'll tell you what, three can go for now," he said, "The rest stay down here with me. Just a little insurance to make sure you find your way back. We have a deal?"

Thomas gripped onto his hand and shook it.

"Gally show him the way,"

Gally slid the manhole cover away and heaved a ladder down the hole.

"Gally, take care of these three," Fry said.

We decided that Thomas, Newt, and I were going to go. After Thomas went down, I started my descent. The ladder wobbled in response to every step I took. Once the four of us were on foot, we started walking through the sewage.

Newt groaned, "This is gross."

"Jesus," Thomas commented, "Yeah, this is great."

Gally reached over to the wall and flicked something on. I watched and listened as the power whirred on. 

"Stay with me. We got a ways to go," Gally said. 

We continued walking throughout the sewers until we reached a door. We walked through the door, up the flight of stairs that was behind it, out another door, and ended up in the middle of a crowd of people. Newt reached his hand back to me and pulled me closer when I took it. We walked among the people and followed Gally as closely as we could. When we exited the crowd we climbed another flight of stairs. When I reached the top, I gawked at the sight. The city seemed larger than before. Buildings towered and stretched to the sky, a train whizzed by to the right, so many lights shone on us at once. 

"This is a long way from the Glade," Newt commented.

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew," someone over the PA system announced, "Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance."

"Yeah, we better get off the streets," Gally said, "And I know it's hard, but act like you've seen it before."

Sirens wailed past us as we ran. The four of us clung to a wall as a car sped past us. 

"They definitely upped security," Gally said, "I'm guessing you shanks have something to do with that. Alright, let's get out of here."

Gally dashed across the road and kept running until we came to a familiar stone wall.

"Alright, Newt, you're up,"

Newt readied himself and Thomas and Gally lifted him up.

"Jess," Thomas nodded over to me.

I put my foot in his hands and reached up towards Newt. They lifted me up and Newt pulled me over the edge. 

"I got it," I heard Thomas mumble.

We hug the wall and run as fast as we can. We come to a staircase and take it.

"There it is," Gally said, "If WICKED's got Minho, that's where they'll be keeping him."

I gaze out to the building. 

"Lawrence has been trying to find a way in for years," Gally said looking through the telescope, "Place is crawling with soldiers. They got surveillance everywhere. Scanners on every floor."

"Sounds like a bloody fortress," Newt commented.

"Yeah, I thought you said you had a way in," Thomas deadpanned. 

"I might,"

"You might?" I asked, "What the hell do you mean might?"

"Take a look,"

Thomas walked over to the telescoped and peered in. Seconds later, he looked back up.

"I said I had a way in," Gally said, I didn't say you were gonna like it."