The professor's advice

Shinchi didn't need to look in the mirror to know that his face was so red, he felt the temperature in the room was raising and he started to sweat, his heart was beating like crazy, he feared the other person in the room might hear it.

'Did I hear her right?' He thought

"Umm.. well" he stuttered like a fool, and looked at his feet, his thoughts went everywhere as if a volcano just explode in his head.

He suddenly heard a small chuckle
"Did I scare you detective?"

He looked at her and saw a smirk planted on her lips, he got angry
"Seriously shiho, it's not funny"

"Ara.. I found it amusing how your face slowly turns so red"

"Ha ha, you have a bad timing when it comes to jokes"

He got up from the chair that was next to the bed and looked at shiho "I know ran coming here might be uncomfortable, I will talk to her" he said as he headed to the door.

"Why would your fiancée coming here would make me uncomfortable?. she's your fiancée, forget that I told you she reminds me of my sister, I don't think about it anymore besides, it's normal for her to get jealous she found that your partner is a woman"

She said while looking at her hands, and after a few minutes of silence that passed between the two
"And who knows we might become friends" she tried to say it  cheerly but he's no fool he could tell she was faking it.

He didn't say anything and looked at her for a minute then closed the lights "try to sleep, you need to rest good night... shiho"

"Night.. kodu kun"

He was heading down stairs when he saw hakase standing in the corridor as if he listened to their little conversation.

"Would you join me for a cup of tea shinchi kun?"

The detective nodded and followed the professor to the kitchen

The house was so quiet the only voice was there is the kettle announcing that the tea is ready.

Shinchi was sitting on the pantry resting his face on his palm and his mind was elsewhere, his mind kept going back to what shiho said upstairs and no it's not about ran but about shiho's little joke if you would call it a joke.

'how come her expressions changed so fast?, as if she was trying to cover up a truth she hid for a long time, and how come she could say just a word and it could effect me like that?'

The professor looked at the detective with the corner of his eyes, it was obvious the detective was so dense to these kind of feelings, and because of that the chance of living the life with someone who he truly loves instead of sticking to old feelings he might have lost but kept trying to relieve for the sake of other people.

But, at the same time the professor felt that shinchi might finally have  noticed something, His heart might have beaten?
He suddenly said:
"A poet once said:

The blossom's tint is washed away
By heavy showers of rain;
My charms, which once I prized so much,
Are also on the wane, –
Both bloomed, alas! in vain."

The detective looked at him confused "I didn't know you read poetry hakase, but I didn't understand the poem professor"

The professor repeated the poem once again to him "focus on the words shinchi, the poem has a story, in the ancient times it said that the poet was a strong and a beautiful woman, no man was able to win her heart but, later she liked someone so much but he didn't notice. She waited for such a long time for him, years passed and this man didn't notice her feelings"

The detective was so focused with the professor and his story, he felt a strange connection to the poem and he said "and? What happened after that?"

The professor smiled and sipped his hot tea "and here's where the story ends"

"Did the man notice her feelings later?"

"They said that she waited for him for a long time, no one knows if he ever noticed"

Silence fell between the two and each was lost in mind .

"Life goes on shinchi kun, the train of life doesn't wait our  loved ones who is on our side today, they might not be tomorrow and the feelings we thought we feel for some people might be a mistake that we can't avoid when it's too late"

Shinchi was quite for a while, he heard every word the professor said, he might have an idea what dose the professor wanted to say
"Is this about me and ran? The engagement? Do you think it's a mistake?"

"I don't know, you tell me shinchi kun is it?"

His hand touched his nape, the professor understood, shinchi was tense

"I've known ran since childhood professor, and we dated for six months, isn't this .. isn't marriage is what at the end of this road?"

"Don't do that shinchi, don't repeat what they told you. I didn't say anything shinchi, it's your mind speaking, but let me say this, knowing someone and dating for a while doesn't mean that marriage is at the end of the road, you could be dating this person but what you gain from this relationship is experience. Look i love ran so much she's like a daughter to me, and because of that too all I'm saying is you two might be going too fast that at the end it will be you two who's hurt the most , listen to your own thoughts and before that listen to your heart"

It was one in the morning when shinchi left the professor's house, it was getting chilly outside, September just started, he walked and stood at the gate of his house he didn't feel like getting inside, he just stood there his hand is on the gate and his eyes looked up in the sky.

The conversation he had with the professor made him think more, it made things complicated more, he left the professor's house burdened with worries, but between all of these thoughts, his mind went back again to what shiho said just two hours ago 'why just thinking about what she said makes my heart beat like crazy, all she said is a joke and here I'm in the middle of the night thinking about what could she mean? She didn't mean anything she was joking as always, she loves to see me suffering'

He took a deep breath and decided not to think about anything and go to sleep.

"Sleep is all I need, sleep is the only solution" he murmured as he entered his house closing the door leaving behind him the world, and taking refuge in dreams where he might dream of something his mind couldn't imagine but his heart is waiting for the day that it happens.

So what do you think of this chapter?

Sending love to you all wherever you might be 💙