Chapter 16: Law in Trouble

It was a nice sunny day. The seagulls flew in the air, and the waves of the sea splashed ashore. Summer has always been short here on Swallow Island, but when summer came, the place was beautiful. A young teenage girl finished spraying the gigantic metal boat, or whatever it was. She coughed and flailed her hands around in attempt to dissipate the smell of the coating. 

"Uhyooo! That looks sick!" the girl turned around to find three men and a bear staring at the large metal ship with excitement in their eyes. 

"Right?! Wait till we put this bad boy in the waters! Then I'll show you what it can do!" the red haired girl said, putting her hands on her waist, puffing her chest out proudly. 

"Damn Shanna-chan this is amazing!" Penguin, the one who said the ship looked sick, exclaimed. 

Shanna blushed as she started laughing and twirling her feet in the ground. "Ehehehe...." She scratched the back of her head shyly and eyed a particular taller man among the three. "What do you think Law?"

"It's great. Now it just needs the jolly roger," the man named Law replied with a smirk. Speaking of the jolly roger, the smile on the others' faces faded. Noticing the strange gloom in the atmosphere, Law raised a brow. "What?"

"Law, why can't our jolly roger be a skull like everyone else? What's up with a smiley face?" Shanna asked with a big frown spread across her face. She crossed her arms and puffed her cheeks out. 

"Yeah Captain, it's not nearly as intimidating as a skull," Shachi agreed. 

Law ignored the complaints of his crew, and simply stared at their new ship. It wasn't very big, but it was sturdy. A ship that could also submerge below the waters and function as a submarine. He and Shanna thought of that together. "Quit complaining. We're keeping the jolly roger. That's final," he dropped his orders. 

"Ehhhh?!" the rest of the crew whined, but Law paid them no attention. An amused smile played on his lips as Shanna pouted with displeasure. 

"Shanna, what's the name of the ship?" Law asked.

A wide grin returned to the young teenager's lips. Spread her arms out wide, and with a loud and clear voice, she shouted, "I present you...the Polar Tang!"

...

Shanna stopped in her tracks. Hold on a moment. Smiley face. Jolly roger.... Something seemed to click right then and there. She used to think it was just an unlucky coincidence that their jolly roger ended up clashing with the Donquixote pirates, but now it didn't. She should have realized it the moment she realized Law and Doflamingo were familiar with each other.

Shanna placed her free hand on her shoulder, almost as an attempt to reach for her tattoo on her back. Was this jolly roger....perhaps purposely designed like this? As a tribute to the Donquixote pirates? Shanna's brows furrowed. No. Law hates Doflamingo. That was obvious to her. She didn't miss the hateful look in his eyes when he was talking to Doflamingo on the phone. 

This brings her back to the question as to why he wants Doflamingo to quit the Seven Warlords. Sure, Doflamingo is working with Kaido, so stripping his title of the Seven Warlords weakens the strength in Kaido's faction just a little bit. However, without the world government backing him up, he still had his crew, full of countless high bounty members. So why exactly was that necessary? 

With Law's personality, he shouldn't have taken these extra steps. If they never told Doflamingo that they came out of Punk Hazard alive, and discretely came to Dressrosa, discretely destroyed the SMILE factory, all would have gone according to plan wouldn't it? Law was obviously putting too much focus on Doflamingo, and now that she combined the clues together, Shanna can only infer that Law and Doflamingo had some sort of personal grudge.