two>

[warnings: this chapter is actually extremely boring i guess, luke gets really sad bc food, LUKE THINKS ABOUT SAD THINGS THAT HAPPEN TO COWS AND OTHER ANIMALS OR POULTRY, ash is basically a big díckhead because things happen, eating disorder triggers as always, luke thinks kinda triggering suicidal thoughts]

[ship: luke hemmings + ashton irwin]

/\/\/\

when luke had agreed to ashton's 'date,' he hadn't expected a restaurant.

he had expected maybe a movie, where he could deny ashton's offer for popcorn and maybe just get a water.

or he'd thought ashton would drive them back to his house and they'd do stupid stuff like play board games or bake cupcakes (that luke would refrain from eating) or something.

never in a million years did he expect ashton would look at luke, a vegetarian and a vegan on his own merits, and decide to take him out on a first date to a restaurant.

and maybe that makes him stupid, or oblivious, or something like that. but luke had merely assumed that ashton would see how heavy he was and how he handled his eating habits and simply back off.

for a moment, luke thought that maybe he'd simply forgotten. but the way ashton gave him such a knowing look when they parked and got out of the car told him that ashton knew what he had done, and especially what he was doing.

only, he didn't know how anxious luke was at the fact that he could smell the food inside the restaurant from outside the door.

"c'mon, luke."

luke distractedly followed ashton, sitting down with him at a booth and looking down at the menu, a large picture of a juicy, succulent steak on the front.

luke's mind reverted to everything he'd read about how poorly cows were treated before they were taken and slaughtered to make that steak he saw on the plastic-covered menu.

"he'll have a water," luke heard ashton say. he looked up, not noticing they had asked him anything.

ashton gave him a gentle smile and took the boy's frail hand in his own strong one.

"do you... do you work out?" luke asked, trying his best to start a conversation in the feeblest voice he could muster.

"no, i just play the drums," ashton said, shrugging a little, "not very well, granted, but i still play."

"do you, not do anything?" ashton asked, holding up luke's scrawny arm as evidence for his asking.

"i care for eight cats, seven kittens every day and work in a day spa at night. if you ask me, i'm a right hannah montana."

ashton rolled his eyes, smiling at luke fondly.

"wow, i've found myself on a date with hannah montana, how lucky am i? somebody make an mtv show about me; 'my hannah montana love life,' i can see it now. help! somebody help! she's twerking at me!"

luke pulled his hand away from ashton's, laughing.

"you know what? the next time you ask me a question, i'm just going to say no."

ashton gave a little giggle, one that sent his cheeks aflame and luke into hysterical laughter.

a waitress came up to them a moment later, once they had both calmed down. perhaps she had been waiting for the perfect, not so awkward time to speak.

"have you both decided what to order?"

luke froze up, the smile leaving his face.

"he'll have the fettuccine alfredo," ashton smiled, and luke tightly gnawed on his lip, tapping his fingers shyly.