one>

[warnings: eating disorder triggers, in-depth description of one's """diet""", angst, HEAVY HEAVY ANGST, luke basically hates himself for gaining weight after college, depressing thoughts (see 'eating disorder triggers'), ummm ashton's kinda annoying but he only wants to help lmao just like everyone else, lowercase intended!!!!!]

[ship: luke hemmings + ashton irwin]

/\/\/\

thin, spindly fingers skimmed over the cereal boxes, plucking one off of the shelf and setting into a bright red basket carried by more thin, spindly fingers.

"need any help, sir?"

luke turned around, lean arms clutching the basket to his chest.

"no, thank you."

"kix? that has, like, no flavour. try trix."

luke gave the store clerk a pointed look.

"i prefer tasteless foods," he huffed softly.

"tasteless foods? that has got to be an oxymoron or something. food is meant to be tasteful, to bring your stomach joy with each flavourful bite."

"i'd hate to interrupt your requiem to foods with taste, but i need to check out."

ashton bit his lip, getting down to business.

"i can take you right over here," he mumbled, and yes, there would have been a time in ashton's life where he would have giggled and smirked at the word-placement in the sentence, but after saying it so many times in a day, it does get old.

the tall, obviously gaunt teenager followed ashton to a check-out lane where he carefully loaded his things on to the belt, pulling out a stick with advertising along the sides from the far side of the belt and placing it on the black rubber to differentiate his items from the next old woman in line.

"kix, tofu, white rice, celery, ice mountain water, and six cat toys. you're killing yourself, mate. at least take this."

ashton held out a pack of bubbilicious bubble gum; tropical punch flavoured.

luke took it in his long, lanky fingers and studied it.

"i can't have this," he glanced at the man's nametag on the right side of his shirt, "ashton. i'm sorry."

ashton accepted the gift back and pursed his lips, watching as luke took his bag with the ode to bland foods inside.

"wait," said ashton quickly, "since my uniform betrayed to you my name, could i at least have yours?"

"i'm luke, luke hemmings," the teenager said softly, taking his bag and walking out of the automatic doors, tucking himself into his jacket and grabbing his keys.

luke unlocked his car, exclaiming some gibberish as a harsh, cold wind bit at his face.

he threw open the driver's side door and scampered inside, breathing a sigh of relief when he was safely inside the car.

it had been getting colder and colder through the passing months, leaving luke to layer more and more shirts under his coat.

although he wasn't sure why, he'd gotten fatter since college and was hoping that university would keep him busy enough that he would just forget to eat.

that would be a luxury luke was to not be given.

the teenager pressed his keys in to the car, starting it up and slowly backing out of his parking space, turning around a bit and leaving the lot, driving home.

/\/\/\

once he entered his flat, yolanda pressed her little grey paws at his feet and happily purred at his entrance.