fourteen>

[warnings: i hate this story, so does luke, hahaaa, many feels in this chapter, hang on folks, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, luke wants to get better :), MAJOR ED AND EDNOS TRIGGERS]

[ships: luke hemmings + ashton irwin (not very much in this chapter oops)]

Luke was quick to realize that Ashton wasn't going to give up on him as quick as he had given up on himself.

Within days of the scale incident, Ashton was proactive in trying to nurse Luke back to health. Although Luke often rejected the help and even denied having an eating disorder at all, Ashton still prevailed.

Luke was allowed to use his scale once a week.

To map his progress.

On this one day, generally Fridays, Ashton had quit his job and Luke had every other day off, Ashton would place the thin scale in front of Luke and watch him step on.

The number would fluctuate for a moment and Ashton could feel the stress and tension coming from Luke.

Ashton could tell he hated weigh days.

"Thirty-seven," Luke finally sighed. "Thirty-seven point two kilograms."

Ashton smiled softly and cupped Luke's cheek. "See? And now it's over."

Luke stepped off of the scale and crossed his arms over his bony chest. "I hate weigh days," he spat to no one in particular, answering Ashton's aforementioned suspicions.

"I know you do. But you're doing so well."

Ashton could see Luke rolling his eyes and walking away as he set the scale back in the closet, hidden away from Luke.

The two had gotten closer in the week that had gone by since the scale incident, sharing mutual kisses here and there and sometimes Luke would come into the guest room at night and ask to be cuddled.

It was nights like that that Ashton liked the most, holding the feather-light boy close to his chest and keeping him safe and warm.

Luke, on the other hand, felt miserable. He was constantly overfull from the new sensation of eating so his body was trying to switch from burning fat to burning calories, and it was rough on him.

He was almost always sleepy and pliant, but he looked healthier. His skin wasn't so lifeless and grey and even though he was reluctant he was starting to get better.

All until New Years Eve, three weeks later.

/\/\/\

"Bye, Ashton," Luke said softly.

"I left a bag of carrots in the fridge for you and some celery with peanut butter," Ashton explained. "Can you try and eat some for me?"

Luke nodded wordlessly and looked down at his shoes.

"Luke, promise me."

Luke chewed on his lip and looked up at Ashton.

"I promise," he lied.

Ashton smiled and pressed a kiss to Luke's cheek. "I'll be back tomorrow morning, as soon as I can."

Luke sighed. Ashton was going out to be with his real friends, so he didn't have to be tied down to such a fat, worthless piece of shit.