IX. #Little Lies & Secrets

Yaa Dufie stirred, opening her eyes to the sharp glare of a moving white light in the darkness

Yaa Dufie stirred, opening her eyes to the sharp glare of a moving white light in the darkness. “Ah!” She groaned, blinking repeatedly. “Get that thing out of my face. What at all are you doing at this time of the night?”

The light flashed downwards and Yaa Dufie could just make out Steph’s face in the dark. “Oh sorry,” Steph began softly. “My lip gloss fell on the ground and I was just searching for it. And also, it’s not night. It’s already 5AM.”

“But why are you up this early?” She groaned again, but weaker this time. “It’s not like we have classes today.”

“No, we don’t. But since it is Sunday, we have a church service this morning. I already asked Olivia and she’s coming. Would you like to join…?”

She didn’t even get to complete her sentence and Yaa Dufie yawned loudly, rolling to her other side to continue her sleep.

Sighing in resignation, Steph resumed her search for her gloss, making sure to keep her phone flash on the ground and away from Yaa Dufie.

She found it later on, under her bed. She picked it up and stood to her feet, putting off the torch of her phone. Light from under the bathroom door lit the ground, along with the shadow of someone moving around inside. She walked to the bathroom and knocked on the door, then whispered, “Can I come in?”

“Sure.” Olivia’s barely audible voice answered from inside.

Steph made sure to open the door only a little more than an inch so as not to allow even a glimmer of light to shine into the room, lest it wake Yaa Dufie up and make her even more annoyed.

Olivia stood in front of the mirror, putting on her make-up, which she had been doing for more than thirty minutes already. “Just give me a few minutes,” She said, applying her mascara. “I’ll be done very soon.”

“That’s what you said a few minutes ago. We only have about ten minutes to spare before we leave.”

“I’m sorry. I’m almost done.”

Steph, standing behind Olivia, stretched her body and neck so she could see her reflection and then began to apply her lip gloss.

“Should I help you with your make-up?” Olivia asked Steph’s reflection in the mirror while applying her own lip gloss.

Steph quickly shook her head and capped her lip gloss in a flash. “Please, I don’t want to spend another hour here when we’re almost late.”

“We’re not late. The service doesn’t start until about forty-five minutes.  Relax.”

“Yes, and it’ll take us a forty-minute walk to get to the church. So,” Steph began to place Olivia’s things in her make-up kit. “it’s best we set off now.”

“Fine, I’ve heard you.” Olivia rubbed her lips together and then popped them out, before taking her kit and following Steph out of the room.