V. #Happiness Is Having A True Friend

Yaa Dufie really took her time to answer the call

Yaa Dufie really took her time to answer the call. She first went to the kitchen and threw the polythene in the bin. Then she filled a glass with water from the kitchen tap and took her precious time drinking it. The vibration stopped, and started again after a few seconds. She carefully washed the glass and put it back in its cabinet, then walked outside and leaned on the wall, the partition between the kitchen and their living space. The vibration stopped again, and rang one more time before she answered it.

Olivia sat on the mat for a while, weighing her options: getting back into bed and continuing with her moping or finding something better to do with her life, specifically getting back to her books so she could keep her grades up and pacify her father.

Moping seemed very tempting but so was the approval of her father. Gathering energy, she picked herself up, and after that the drinks and the mat. She put the mat at its rightful place behind Steph's locker and the drinks in the fridge. Then she went to her locker, took out her toiletries and entered the bathroom.

She tried the tap in the cubicle and flinched when the water touched her skin. "Too cold." She yelped and closed it quickly. She was just going to have to boil some water to bath.

After taking a huge saucepan from a drawer in her locker and the matchbox that they all used, from the top of the fridge, she opened the door and walked out.

"I know you had to be there for your son's birthday but you should have thought of that before making plans to go to the soiree with me; I had to go with my roommate ... Yes, I had fun but the fact is that you and I were supposed to go together ... You would have to make it up to me ... just make sure that, that day doesn't turn out to be your wife's birthday or something of the sort, else I will never forgive you ... I'll tell you I love you when you make it up to me, big time. Bye." Yaa Dufie hanged up and turned off her screen. She sighed, turning to go back into the room when she came face-to-face with Olivia.

The two merely stared at each other, both off their facial expressions neutral, hiding their true emotions and what they were thinking.

Her relationships were not public knowledge; most of her people and friends didn't know. The type of men she dated wasn't something she ever bragged about but she also never hid or felt bad about it either. It wasn't a bother to her if her roommates or friends found out about her escapades, their opinions on the issue did not really matter to her.

But standing in the presence of Olivia, she felt strange. It felt a bit like remorse, like she had been caught with her hand in the cookie jar; it was akin to guilt. She knew that Olivia had heard enough to draw a conclusion but for some odd reason - that she did not know, she wanted to give an explanation, a reason for what she did, so Olivia wouldn't hate her.

Yaa Dufie opened her mouth to speak but Olivia beat her to it. "I've cleared the floor and put the drinks in the fridge, just in case you still want yours. The water in the bathroom is a bit cold and since I didn't bring my heater, I'll be using this saucepan to boil some water. If the temperature is okay for you, you can go take your bath right now; I'll be in the kitchen waiting for mine to boil." Then she gave a perfunctory smile and left for the kitchen.