Twenty Fifth

Dishonesty was rarely a part of Elliot's dictionary, so whenever he fabricated the truth, guilt would lurk behind him like a predator stalking its vulnerable prey. Regret came next, slowly devouring him inside no matter how much he tried to shrug it off like it was nothing. However, in his current situation, the only way for him to escape... was to deceive Ms. Fairchild.

Even if it sounded so wrong, there was no way Elliot wanted to tell the curious counsellor about Dad's beers and how he acted abnormally after gulping them up. He dreaded the day his father would no longer be around if the truth was leaked, driven away by people in uniforms. What was worse, he would be forced to live with Mom, who could potentially hurt him.

"Elliot?" Ms. Fairchild called out when no answer was received. In response, Elliot's heart threatened to burst out of his ribs as he was jolted awake. He clenched his shaky hands together and straightened his trembling lips. Okay, Elliot, you just need to lie and that's all! If you don't answer, she's gonna ask even more!

After lots of deliberation, the child ultimately blurted out his reply, using a technique he seldom practiced: "No, I think Dad's like that because he's just really sad about Mom, but he isn't being weird anymore... he has been really happy. Like, on the weekends, I got along with him and he was going just fine, so everything's just okay now!"

Elliot's chest pounded even more when he couldn't read the unchanging expression in Ms. Fairchild's face. The fact she was oddly silent knotted his stomach and broke him into a puddle of sweat. Every time her golden eyes blinked, as if she was deep in thought, his pulse started to quicken. However, he tried his best to gaze straight at his teacher, attempting to convince her.

If she finds out I'm lying, I'm gonna get in big trouble, and then it's gonna get even worse... He swallowed his breath, resisting the urge to tap his foot as he waited for her to speak.

"Hmm... I see," Ms. Fairchild, at long last, muttered as she bobbed, acknowledging Elliot's reasoning. Her frown abruptly curved up into a tiny smile as she gently patted his shoulder, "well, I'm glad to see your daddy's recovering and cheering you up. I can tell he's loving you lots, but always remember my child, your feelings are important too."

Waves of relief crashed against Elliot's small body as the tension that restrained him down began to fade away. He quietly breathed out, but he didn't want to make it too obvious to his counsellor. His heartbeats slowed down and he could loosen his muscles once more. Now that she trusts me, everything's gonna be fine. I just need to wait until Dad's finally talking to me like back then!

"Of course. Thank you, Ms. Fairchild!" The boy exclaimed, casting her a wide grin to show his gratitude.

"No worries, sweetheart," she beamed, "at least you and your daddy are doing okay. If you still need help, you're free to come up to me anytime."

Outside, Elliot was nodding continuously, accepting her offer of assistance, but inside, there was nothing but pure satisfaction and bliss flowing through him. Although she was slightly off at first, she didn't manage to suspect anything, much to his intense delight. Thank goodness... 

Ms. Fairchild and Elliot then returned to the vicinity where his friends were. He waved at Ms. Fairchild goodbye before they eventually parted. He ventured back towards his group, where they were still discussing their constellation jar. However, he was oblivious of the counsellor's disappearing smile as she continued watching him from a safe distance.

Ms. Fairchild rummaged through her pocket, pulling out a card, the one she was supposed to be giving Elliot for further contact if... something wasn't going right. With a gripped jaw and tightened eyes, she scrutinized the wrinkled card, reading the information printed.