Chapter Nineteen

After talking with their new friends for a few minutes, it was time to start the races. Annabella was up last, as it was the biggest race of the night. She still hadn't seen the person she was racing against. When she was asking around though, she had heard that the mafia leader had 6 sons. That certain fact is weird as Annabella had 6 brothers herself. She just shook it off and reasoned with herself that her brothers and father could never be that ruthless.

Isa won her race and then it was Annabella's time to race the mysterious person. It worried her a little when she didn't know how the person races. They could follow the rules or play dirty. It's not that often that someone will cheat, but there is always that one person. She got into her car and drove up to the starting line. This race would get her into the Italian Underground. It is very vital that she won.

Looking over, Annabella saw a car that was kind of similar to hers. At least this race will be sort of fair. She didn't know what kind of adjustments he had made to his vehicle. A girl in very little clothing walked up between the two vehicles with a checkered flag. When she waved it, they were both off. Taking turns as fast and smooth as possible, they were both neck and neck. Coming up there is a ramp for a jump, but it is only big enough for one car. Looking over to her opponent, Annabella noticed he must have noticed as well and is planning on taking it.

Annabella being herself, was not going to let him take it first. Then she remembered a shortcut to get back faster and slowed down enough to let him take it instead. She took a sharp turn instead of following him. Taking a chance to look back at him, she noticed he was very confused. Smirking, she took off towards the finish line. When Annabella crossed everyone was chanting her street name. A few seconds later, he pulls up behind her and gets out. He looks very angry and frustrated. Good. That is what he deserves for thinking he could beat her just because she was a girl.

When she was asking around, Annabella had heard that he was telling people that he would beat her just because she was a girl and girls could not race. He starts to walk towards her and that is when she noticed that he also had a face mask covering most of his eyes. Annabella could already tell that it was about to get messy. She got out of her car to talk to him. He got right up in front of her and she could see his eyes.

Those eyes seemed so familiar to her, but she could not place where she had seen them. They looked so carefree at first look, but when you looked closer it looked like he was burdened a lot. Like he carried the world on top of his shoulders with no one to help him. For some reason unknown to her, Annabella wanted to help him. To take that burden off of him and carry it for him. The revelation shook her to her core. She was knocked out of her inner monologue by him speaking.

"Hey! How in the world did you beat me? You had to cheat!! No one has ever beaten me other than my brothers. Wait, I don't care who you are. Just watch your back," He states angrily and stomps off to sulk. Probably cry to his brothers and father.

Annabella felt bad for him. The world has made guys afraid to get beaten or shown up by a girl because of their masculinity. It is a sad world they lived in but there was nothing she could do about it. Rolling her eyes, she turned back to get into her car. Isa was already in hers and pulled up beside Annabella's. She nodded to Isabella and got in her car. Annabella got a notification on her phone signaling a text from her manager.

Henry

Henry: Head on over to the club and go to the back door. When you get back there do the coded knock I taught you to get in.

Shadow: Okay, I will be there in about 15 minutes to warm up. Do you know who I am up against tonight?

Henry: Nice tryl. You know the drill. I give you the info before you start to warm up then I quiz you on it.

Laughing, Annabella turned off her phone. She put on some music. It annoyed her that she could not know who she was fighting before but his way of telling her makes her remember for when she was in the middle of the fight. When you are dodging and throwing punches, it could be hard to remember what you were told about the other unless trained for it.

Pulling up to the club which has the underground ring, Annabella went to the back to do the special knock and Isa walked up beside her. Annabella turned to her before knocking, and smiled at her. She was truly blessed to have Isabella as her best friend. When they open the door and both girls step in, Annabella was overwhelmed by the smells of sweat and alcohol. She breathed it and sighed. It smelt like home here.

She had spent so much time in underground rings, that it was a second home for her. Annabella texted her manager to let him know that she was there. He came and found her and pulled both her and Isa into a room to warm up. Throughout the entire warm up, her mind was focused on retaining the information. She was fighting against one of the higher up fighters. Not in the top 3. No, that spot goes to three of the Italian mafia sons and nephews.

When the announcer finally called her name, she took a breath and stepped up. Annabella hadn't looked around as she was sizing up her opponent. He was about 6'2 and 225 lbs. He was about double her weight and a head or two taller than her. Annabella took another breath and finally looked around at the crowd.

Her breath caught when she saw the people she did not want to see at all. Annbella knew that they were hiding something, but she never thought this would be it. She saw her twin, Alessandro, Angelo, and the person with the eyes. The one who looked like he had carried the whole world on his shoulders. There beside them sat the person who she raced against that night. The person who changed her entire view of her newfound family.

Because, there in his outfit he raced in, was my brother Antonio.