yolanda was his kitten, the youngest of seven that lived in the house with him.

he had a split level home, meaning upon coming in the front door there were two short staircases, one leading to the ground floor and one leading to an upstairs-like floor, where his kitchen was and the rest of the bedrooms.

he went upstairs, yolanda trailing at his heels as she carefully jumped up the tall steps.

the rest of the kittens were surrounding their mummy in the living room, suckling on one of her nipples or simply cuddling for warmth.

he knelt down next to them and counted them out by name.

"chester, minx, clumpy, yoshi, michael, flower, and," he picked up yolanda with two hands, one on her stomach and one holding her side as she leaned against his chest, cuddling her, "yolanda."

he set down the kitten by her mum, whose name was jessie, and walked to the kitchen, setting the bag of groceries down and putting everything where it needed to go in his cabinets, taking the cat toys out of their packaging and setting them down in the kitten play-area he'd comprised of a baby gate and a rug.

he settled himself comfortably on the couch, seven kittens slowly making their way to him and finding a spot to cuddle.

jessie sprawled out upon his lap, as yolanda climbed upon his broad shoulder and leaned against the back of the couch, purring in his ear.

clumpy, whose fur was matted in many places from finding himself squished into small spaces out of curiosity, crawled under luke's palm.

minx was quite a naughty cat, always stealing toys from her brothers and sisters. she, however, was lounging on luke's other hand, purring into his ring finger.

chester was next to his mother, definitely a mummy's boy, laying on luke's thigh.

yoshi and michael were cuddled together on luke's stomach. they liked to play-fight quite a bit. brotherly love.

flower was beside them, curled up in luke's sweatshirt pocket.

he smiled, doubting that having a boyfriend was this nice.

/\/\/\

when luke woke up, he looked over at the clock.

the cats were still asleep on him, so he carefully pried them away and set them on the couch, replacing them in an aesthetically pleasing array around their mother on the ridiculously large cat bed he'd purchased when jessie was pregnant.

he had a job to go to, he was a receptionist at a day spa downtown.

even though it took quite a while to get there, the pay was good and he didn't exactly hate it.

he walked to his bedroom, having a few minutes to spare, and shed of his cat-fur sweatshirt, staring at his chest and his bloated stomach in the mirror.

although, to the common eye, you saw ribs. ribs and bones that shouldn't jut out in such a way. his hipbones stretched the skin tight, thin purple and blue veins running across his sunken, empty stomach. he could touch each and every one of his ribs, if he ever had the courage to touch any part of his pudgy stomach or his bulky chest.

everyone else saw thin, thin, thin, when all luke saw was fat, fat fat.

pulling on the green polo he hadn't gotten around to washing yet, he smoothed out the wrinkles as best as he could and grabbed his name tag from his vanity.

he hooked the pin to his official 'calm salon and day spa' polo and walked out of his room while shrugging on a black jacket.

he waved a happy goodbye to his cat and kittens and grabbed his keys and phone, exiting the house and unlocking his car again, getting inside and starting it up.