Chapter 1 ~ Assimilation

The day was overcast by blue-grey clouds from the rainstorm that had swept in late last night. Weak, watery sunlight poked through every now and then before being swallowed up again. Despite the threat of more rain, the day was overall pleasant for late autumn.

Brilliant eyes of deepest green peered out from beneath a dark cowl, following the movements of the passersby. No one noticed him, despite how inconspicuously unique he looked. He was dressed in a dark green silk shirt and tight-fitting black cotton pants. Black scaly boots made of a mythical fire-breathing creature graced his feet and over the shirt was a vest made of impenetrable green-grey snakeskin, a trophy from his earlier years. Completing the outfit was a beautiful silvery cloak. It shimmered like water at the slightest movement.

But no one noticed his uncommon appearance.

For no one saw. And that was how he intended it. Magic worked just as well, if not better here in this Realm than back in his former one.

Growing bored of people-watching the hooded figure slipped away from his spot upon a low brick wall and up onto the roof of a building. Stretching out below and beyond was London, in the Victorian Era to be exact. Perhaps that's why he felt as at home as he did here compared to what the Magical World was like back in his old Realm. That place never moved beyond the sixteenth century as far as technology... and some ideals were concerned.

Leaping gracefully from roof to roof the person smiled and let out a joyous laugh at the feeling of the wind whipping past his lithe form, the adrenaline and endorphins flooding his blood. It reminded him of flying.

He landed with a thud on the edge of a building overlooking a cobblestone road. Across the street was an ominous-looking funeral parlor with a sign above the door that read: 'Undertaker'.

"I wonder..." Is this where the rogue Reaper is hiding? Death did mention that he was a favorite of his. I should say hello before I explore any more of this world or before Death calls me in.

Harry ~

The interior of the shop is dark and holds an air of decay and mystery.

Ironically it soothes me, but being Death's Master will change a person I've come to discover. Coffins of all shapes and sizes litter the shop and odd macabre items line the shelves behind the counter. As I wander further in an eerie laugh rings out and a purple coffin's lid slowly begins to shift open.

"Hehehehe! Welcome, would you like to try a coffin? I'm sure I could find one perfectly suited for you!" A slightly high-pitched voice giggles as the coffin opens fully, revealing a man with long silver hair and tophat.

I catch the gleam of yellow-green eyes beneath the long bangs that let me know exactly what this man is. Only Grim Reapers possess that shade of electric green.

I smile at the Reaper as he steps fully out of the coffin to assess me, dressed in long black robes with a silver sash.

"I'd try out a coffin if I could, but alas I do not have the qualifications to do so," I reply and inwardly cackle as the Undertaker freezes as he catches hold of my aura. My lips twitch into a faint smirk as I lean my hip against the counter and watch the rogue struggle to comprehend just who has walked into his shop.

"M-Master of Death?" Undertaker breathes.

I dip my head. "Indeed. I just arrived into this Dimension a few weeks ago via the lovely help of Death. He wanted me to get a chance to assimilate to this world before he asks me to take up my official role in the Grand Game."

"It is an honor to meet you, my Lord."

I wrinkle my nose at the title but don't say anything. Better to keep formalities till I know who I can call friend and foe. "Anyway, I was hoping I would get to meet you eventually. Death spoke quite fondly of you."