Chapter 6

Chapter 6

After a little while, he packed things up and got in the car to take me home. Pulling up in front of my house, he walks me to the door and I say "I had a really good time. Thank you Stefan." He smiles and says "I'm glad you did. So, does this mean I get a second date or maybe the title of boyfriend?" I wrap my arms around his neck and say "Yes and yes." He smiles softly and kisses my lips. I deepen the kiss but only for a minute before I say, "I better get inside. See you at school tomorrow?" He kisses me again and says "Bright and early." He waits for me to get inside before he walks to his car and heads home.

Walking into the house, Jenna stops me and says "Well? Details?" I smile and say, "He took me to a picnic at the gazebo at the falls. He took it from a part in my favorite book. It was perfect." I tell her. "So, what is going to happen from here?" Jenna asked. "He is officially my boyfriend." I tell her. "That's great Layne." I hug her and head up to bed. Walking into my room, Elena follows me in. "You are supposed to be my sister. How could you hurt me like this?" she says to me. "Hurt you? Elena, I have been miserable my entire life. I have stepped back from everything because it was what you wanted. I watched you be happy and never complained and the one time I get a chance to be happy, you act like I turned my back on you. You do realize that we are not all here to live for you, don't you? I am allowed to be happy and being with Stefan has made me the happiest I have ever been." I tell her with tears in my eyes. "Whatever. You are supposed to be my sister." she says. "And you are supposed to be mine but I guess that loyalty only goes one way." I say before taking my overnight bag out of the closet and packing a few things inside before walking out the door. "Jenna I am staying at Care's for a few days." I tell her.

Twenty minutes later, I knock on Caroline's door and when she answers, I fall into her arms crying. "Layne, what's wrong?" she asked as she pulls me inside. We make it to her room and I ask "Can I stay here for a few days?" Before she could answer, her mom comes to the door and says, "You can stay as long as you need. You know you are welcome here." I just look at Liz and say "Thank you." After Liz leaves us alone Caroline asks again "What's going on?" I take a deep breath and start to tell her. "I had a date with Stefan tonight and it was amazing. It was romantic and perfect. He asked if he could be officially my boyfriend and I said yes but I can't even be happy about it because Elena followed me into my room when I got home and asked how could I do that to her. She asked how I could be with him knowing she liked him and basically told me that I was a horrible sister because I decided to be happy for a change. I can't handle her anymore. She was the reason that I left to begin with. Am I wrong for wanting to be happy? Everyone else is happy for me but she is the only one that isn't." I tell her as the tears start again. "Forget about her. Do you want to be with Stefan?" she asked. "Yes." I say. "Does he want to be with you?" she asked. "Yes." I say again. "Then be with him. Elena will get over it." she tells me as she pulls me into a hug. A few minutes later my phone goes off and I see it is a text from Stefan.

S: I just wanted to see how you are? I heard what Elena said.

L: I'm okay. I am at Caroline's for now. I'm sorry that you heard that.

S: I know she is your sister but I don't want that to come between us.

L: It won't. Stefan, I am with you. She isn't going to change that.

S: Good. I really like you and want to see where this goes. You deserve to be happy and I want to be the one to make you happy.

L: So far you already are. Thank you.

S: Anything for you. Get some rest and I will see you in the morning.

L: Good night Stefan. See you in the morning.

Caroline saw the messages over my shoulder and says "See, even he says you deserve to be happy." I smile and say "I really like him Care." Liz knocks on the door and says "I just got off the phone with Jenna. I told her that I have a guest room that you are welcome to if you wanted to move in here and she thought it would be a good idea." Caroline and I both look at her and say "Really? Thanks Liz. That means a lot." Caroline says "We will go by tomorrow and get the rest of your things. Mom, can we stay home tomorrow so that we can get her moved without Elena being there?" Liz looked at us both and said "That sounds like a good idea. Now, get some sleep." We both lay down and I send one more text to Stefan.

L: I won't be at school tomorrow. Moving to Caroline's but will text you in the morning.

S: I will meet you at Caroline's in the morning and help. I want to see you so I know you are okay.

L: Thank you. See you in the morning. Good night Stefan.

S: No problem. Good night Beautiful.

The next morning, Caroline and I got up and showered before getting dressed. Liz left earlier and told us to call her if we needed anything. While Caroline has always been my best friend, Liz was my mom's. She's also my GodMother. We are both putting on our shoes and heading to the kitchen when there was a knock on the door. "Good morning Stefan. Come on in." Caroline tells him and he walks in holding two coffees. One for me and one for Caroline. "You are so gaining boyfriend brownie points." I tell him laughing. "Good to see you laughing this morning." he tells me before kissing my lips softly.

Pulling up in front of my house, we walk inside and go to my room and get my things together. I take a piece of paper and leave Jenna and Jeremy notes telling them that I was staying at Caroline's and that I was just a phone call away if they needed me. We all walk out with my things and head back to Caroline's. Once there, Caroline asked what we wanted to do for the day. "What about heading out back to the falls and hanging out." I suggest. "I'll drive" Stefan says as we head out for the day and for the first time in I don't know how long, I am happy and feel at peace.