Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It's the first day of school and I rode in with Caroline. I walk in and see so many people that I really didn't want to deal with. I saw all of the sad looks I was getting. Poor Layne Gilbert lost her parents. I almost wanted to scream but I just held my head up and walked to my locker to get ready for my first class. I see Jeremy head into the bathroom with Elena right on his heels. "I wonder what Jeremy did this time?" Caroline asked. I just rolled my eyes and said "I don't know. I'm staying out of it." I grab what I need and head to class with Caroline.

Sitting in first period, which is Literature, I see Stefan walk in and he takes the empty seat beside me and Caroline is behind me. I look over at Stefan and he says "Morning Layne." I smile and say "Morning Stefan." before turning back to the front and pretending to listen to the teacher. After class, we are headed into the hallway and Caroline pulls me aside. "He was watching you all through class." she says in a whisper. "Okay. What do you want me to do?" I asked. "Don't do that. I saw you and him talking the other night. I know you are into him." she says and I just roll my eyes. "Care, guys like him, don't go after girls like me." Caroline just looked at me like I said the dumbest thing in the world and to her I probably did. She hated when I put myself down but that was how I saw myself. There was nothing really interesting about me. I was not fat but just not as skinny as the other girls and had guys choose someone else over me many times so I didn't get my hopes up when it came to guys.

After school, I head home and start homework. Homework on the first day. What kind of teacher does that? An evil one, that's who. But I hear Elena walk in and she comes to my door and asked "Are you going to the party at the Falls tonight?" I look at her and say "Don't have a choice. Caroline is forcing me." I tell her. "Are you riding with her?" she asked and I put my book down and say "Yeah. Why?" She looks at me and smiles, "Because I have a date picking me up and wanted to make sure you had a way there and home." I smile and asked, "Who's the date?" She smiles bigger and says "Stefan Salvatore." I felt my heart drop to my stomach but I smiled and said "That's great, El. Have fun." She walks out of the room and I pick up my phone and start to text Caroline.

L: I am not going to the party.

C: And why not?

L: My little sister has a date and I don't really want to be witness to it.

C: Date? With who?

L: Stefan.

C: You are going. This is the first party of the year and you are not missing it to sit and wallow in pity. Be ready in an hour.

L: Fine.

An hour later, Caroline shows up to pick me up at the same time that Stefan is here to get Elena. "Layne, what are you doing here?" he asked. "I live here. You must be here for Elena." I say before calling for Elena "El, Stefan's here." I yell before heading out the door. "Layne, wait." Stefan says running after me. I turn to look at him and he says "I didn't know. Honest." I look at him and say "It's okay. Have fun with my sister." before I turn around and get into Caroline's car. "Are you okay?" she asked me. "Nope. Just get me there and let's get drunk." I say.

Walking into the party, I walk over to the first keg I see and am handed a drink. Matt walks over and asks "Whoa, you're drinking?" I don't normally drink unless something is seriously wrong. "Yep. And keep em coming." I say. Matt looks at Caroline and she nods towards where Elena and Stefan are and Matt nods understanding. "Let's head over to the bridge." Caroline says and we walk over but not before I grab two cups of beer to take with me. "Okay, talk." she tells me. "Nothing to talk about. It's all good." I tell her smiling, already feeling a little buzzed because I have not eaten and not being used to drinking. An hour later, I am pretty drunk and Caroline decides to take me home. Walking up to my room with me, she says "You know, you don't always have to step back. You can let him know you like him and let him choose." I look at her and say "He'll choose her. They always do." I tell her before falling asleep on my bed, Caroline getting in next to me.

The next morning, I wake up and feel like death warmed over. I get up and see a text on my phone from Stefan.

S: Are you okay?

Deciding to respond:

L: All good.

S: I didn't ask her out. She asked me to the party.

L: It's okay. You and her make a cute couple.

S: What about us?
L:What about us?
S: I thought we hit it off the other night.

L: Guessed wrong. Later.

Looking over my shoulder, Caroline sees the texts and smacks me in the back of the head. "Ow. What was that for?" I asked. "For being a moron. He clearly likes you." she says. "No, he likes Elena or he wouldn't have agreed to go to the party with her." I say and head for the shower. I really think I need to rethink Uncle John's offer to let me move in with him.