"It'd be a shame to deface the Crown Prince of such a powerful kingdom. Unfortunately for you, Your Highness, I don't have a choice to hold back." My right leg slides back as it launches me towards Cole. Both my hands are clasped just below my chin when our blades connect once again, a spark flying on either sides of us.

Cole seems a bit shocked by my sudden attack, but blocks it as I had his first. The smug smile of his is back, eyes scanning my face through our crossed swords. He lets out a chuckle, and I'm close enough to feel his breath against my cheek. "There's the fire from yesterday."

"'You must have quite a bit of energy to expend if you're wasting your breath with such frivolous remarks,'" I say, repeating what I had told him yesterday when we were being chased through the alleys.

A flicker of amusement flashes through his face, and I wonder if I didn't hit him hard enough the first time. I shift my weight to my right side, throwing off his balance as his weight continues to shift. Taking the opportunity, I lower myself and sweep his legs from under him. My body scurries closer to the center of the stadium as I stumble back to my feet, just in time to see Cole roll from his fall, landing upright again as if nothing I did fazed him.

"You move as if you don't intend to kill me," he says circling me with his blade pointed.

"Forgive me Sir but if I admitted otherwise, it'd be seen as treasonous." I don't look at him as I speak, but I can feel his eyes following me as we continue on cautiously.

"This is a duel, Lady Amalie," we stop moving, his hand gripping his sword as he prepares to attack. "Act like it." Cole launches for another attack, but this time I'm prepared. My feet shuffle to the side, and Cole falters behind me. I drag my arm outwards, the hilt of my sword hitting him in the back. Before I can pull my hand back, Cole grabs my wrist and spins me around so I'm facing him.

He has the hand with my sword immobilized, and I look up at him, faces inches apart. For a moment we just look at each other. From his dark curls to his hazel eyes, he looks exactly like the novel described him. I don't think I'll ever be over the shock of knowing that I had a secret rendezvous with the Prince Cole, but now isn't the time to get lost in his captivating charm.

We don't stand like that for long as I manage to wrestle my wrist away from his grip. "It's a pity you're so eager to stay away from me Lady Amalie. Am I the plague to you?" Cole laughs shaking off one of his hands.

"Do you often make it a rule to speak while dueling?" I say, charging at him with a strike he leans in to block.

"Only when my opponent has a tongue as sharp as yours, My Lady." Cole hooks one of his legs round my ankles and we fall to the ground, him toppling over me. His blade dips slightly as he continues to push me into the ground, nicking the side of my cheek. It doesn't hurt enough to notice, but I do feel a drop of blood slip from the cut.

I don't let his weight press into me for long, as my leg slips under him and kicks him off. My sword slices the backside of his hand, not deep, but enough to make up for the cut on my cheek. The two of us squat opposite each other, touching the injuries we both inflicted. Cole smiles, I try not to.

Cole must have pushed me closer to the wall than I realized because when he charges again, my back lands against the stadium, trying to defend myself. With a free hand, Cole manages to grip the wrist of mine holding my sword and pins it to the wall above me. I try to do the same to his, but he flattens his forearm so that my other wrist is pinned as well. Dammit, I think, he got me.

Of course I didn't think I'd win, but I think I let a part of me hope. I held out longer than I expected, and fought better than I did with the Ewell's knights regiment, but that still isn't enough. This is the end of the line for me. Cole's eyes search my face, trying to get me to look at him, but I simply can't. My gaze trails behind him, avoiding his stare, and lands on Queen Rista in her viewing box. There's no doubt about it, this time she's definitely laughing.