MANUSCRIPT PART FIVE

'Fluffy Japanese Pancakes'

Thursday

Scene I

"WHAT DOES SUNNY FINCH USUALLY LIKE?"

Pollux drops the spoon he's been using to filter the foam of the drink he's working on, while Lyssian, leaning off the counter with a thick book, looks up slowly. The twins are like meerkats behind the fake marble, blinking in unison when Lorcan looks up from his phone to meet their gaze.

"What?" the youngest Delos Reyes asks, unaware of the gears that pulled to a halt in his older brothers' heads.

"Who?" Pollux asks, though he heard it perfectly the first time.

"Sunny Finch?" Lorcan raises an eyebrow; pad of thumb sliding over the screen of his phone, refreshing his message list one after another in rapid succession. "The girl who always comes here with Kit. Kit Pouliot, if you've also forgotten him."

"Are you dating her?" Pollux finally asks, frank, while Lyssian hits his head with the book, muttering about "subtlety".

Lorcan's answer is flat and crook. "No."

Lyssian bumps Pollux away, stepping forward as the responsible one.

"Are you skipping again?"

"It's the last period, and I've always excelled at maths." Lorcan checks his phone, then the glass walls. There's a storm coming in dark clouds and rumbling thunder. Coffee Milk has one or two stranglers, but one of them is already packing up, sensing the impending storm. Lorcan checks his phone again, itching to pace.

Lyssian watches him with imploring eyes. "Just because you excel at something doesn't mean you have to cut class."

Lorcan meets his older brother's stare. The matching gazes are intense; a thunder meeting lightning. They're both backed up by moral high ground, so neither is disillusioned to stand down.

Pollux starts whistling, eyes wide. Here's the thing about the similarities between the two brothers; Lyssian and Lorcan are coin mirrors of each other. Both who prefer the quietness, the grasping solitude that a big and close-knit family so inconveniently can't give. Because of that, they tend to get isolated and scorned for that isolation.

And they're very much academics and artists; Lyssian graduated from the University of Toronto under a scholarship and likes reading, he already works but prefers adding the bustle of Coffee Milk under his plate because Pollux needed him, while Lorcan has grades that can more than enough get him into prestigious universities and has his art as a primary career choice, with a two year apprenticeship in Italy already booked.