Chapter 6- It's A Date

Harry Potter tossed and turned in bed, trying to sleep. He knew he should probably be feeling happy because last week he got the golden egg, but he wasn't. He felt incomplete. It had also been a week since he told Malfoy about why they switched bodies. Malfoy hadn't seemed to have taken it well, for he continued to ignore Harry. But, something stuck out at the tournament. Harry found his eyes go straight to Malfoy after he won, and Malfoy was clapping for him while the rest of the Slytherins weren't. They were little claps, but still claps. Harry also saw how hurt (?) the blonde had seemed after seeing the Prophet. Even weirder was that Harry felt the urge to go tell him it was just Rita Skeeter making it up, and that he and Hermione were nothing more than friends. On top of all this, he and Cho hadn't made any progress in their relationship. In fact, he didn't feel an eruption of butterflies explode in his stomach anymore when he saw her. He just saw her as... well, Cho Chang. Nothing more, nothing less. Harry sighed, confused as ever. While all of these emotions clouded his head, he suddenly remembered the Mirror of Erised. It would answer all of his burning questions. He slipped out from underneath his comforter then dug around his trunk for his cloak. Once he found it, he slipped it on and walked out of the dormitory without hesitation. There were still a few people babbling in the armchairs, but none of them noticed the door open. He made sure they were all distracted, and climbed through the portrait hole.

Harry tried retracing his steps when soon enough he found himself on the seventh floor, that same wood door greeting him just as it had almost a month ago. He pushed it open with great force, taking off his cloak as he did so. Harry searched the room when he stopped, seeing a familiar head of white-blonde hair standing in front of the mirror. Malfoy hadn't seemed to notice Harry from out of the corner of his eye, for he didn't flinch at all. He was just standing there, staring at his reflection. Harry wondered what Malfoy's deepest desire was.

Probably all the other houses thrown in a ditch or something. Harry thought recklessly.

"Malfoy." Harry suddenly blurted, coming out from the pillar he was hiding behind, causing Malfoy to snap his eyes to Harry. 

"Oh, it's just you." Malfoy said, rolling his eyes. Harry scoffed, walking over to him. He stood in front of the mirror next to the taller boy. 

"This is the Mirror of Erised," Harry started, "It shows you your deepest desire."

The two boys gazed into it without speaking. Harry then started to explain it a little more.

"For example, I see... me holding the Triwizard trophy. I've won," Harry lied. He then looked to Malfoy and asked, "What about you? What do you see?"

Malfoy looked down at him, his pale grey eyes staring deep into Harry's emerald ones. 

"That's not your concern." He replied, looking back at his reflection. They stood in silence again, for what felt like an eternity.

"You know," Harry suddenly added, "Me and Hermione aren't a couple. Skeeter was lying."

Malfoy looked to him again, Harry gazing back up at him. He didn't say anything, he just nodded.

"Potter, we aren't soulmates." Malfoy frowned, looking to his black shoes, "We can't be. It's impossible. I don't care about you, and you don't care about me."

Harry didn't stop staring at him. He believed Sirius. He knew he wouldn't have said that if he was lying. He knew Sirius didn't like the Malfoy's and his family very much. So if he was lying, which Harry was positive he wasn't, why would he want Harry and Malfoy to bond over that? 

The two boys stood in front of the mirror for a little while longer, until Malfoy sighed, walking away without another word. What the boys hadn't told each other that night was that while they stood in front of the mirror, the image hadn't changed for either of them.

-----

That evening, Draco felt confused. Why did the mirror not change? Why was it just him and Potter. It looked like some old dusty mirror with no purpose. Potter wasn't his deepest desire. He knew that. His deepest desire was... well, now that he thought about it, he had no clue. But it definitely wasn't Harry bloody Potter.

For the next few days, Potter and Draco didn't have a conversation once. They did however stare at each other constantly. Draco would always feel his chest tighten ever so slightly every time the boys emerald eyes would gleam, gazing into his. They always seemed to tell a new story. He felt like he could gaze into that boys eyes forever if Potter let him. But he'd never tell that to anyone. 

Draco was sitting in the Great Hall one snowy morning, when the weeks mail arrived. Almost everyone had gotten mail, for it was nearly Christmas and due to the upcoming weather, everything had to arrive early. Draco received a small box and a large box, probably from his parents. One thing however, stuck out. His eagle owl wouldn't leave. 

"Shoo!" Draco tried to swat him away, but he wouldn't budge. That's when he saw there was still a small piece of parchment tied to his leg with red ribbon. He cautiously un-rolled it to find a small scribbled note on the inside. He knew this handwriting.

I know you aren't convinced we're soulmates, and frankly, neither am I, but I think we should see if it's even a possibility.

Meet me by the Black Lake tonight during dinner. Bring a broom.

 It wasn't signed, but Draco didn't need a signature to know that Harry Potter had written this note. He looked up at the boy, whom seemed to be paying no attention to Draco, for he was busy laughing with Weasley again. He reread the note over and over, then tucked it into his robe pocket.