"Yes. It was better for us to separate our ways," I lied. I felt an ache in my heart while saying the word separate. The truth is I never wanted him to leave my life. I had envisioned our future together but now that he's happy in his own little world, I have finally accepted the reality that we were never meant for each other.

Suddenly the doorbell rang which made me wonder who it was. "It's Eric," said Alex after seeing my dazed look. "I called him home for dinner, it's time you introduce your boyfriend to mum and dad," he added with a smile and stepped out to open the door for him.

Oh my god! I wasn't ready for this... I'm going to kill Eric for telling this to my brother.

"Don't worry, I'll handle him Adaline," Sienna mumbled in a concerned tone.

"No, let it be. If you tell him that Eric is my fake boyfriend, then he'll ask more questions."

Sienna nodded her head in understanding. "I'm going to head out and send Eric inside. You can talk to him then," she said and quietly left the kitchen. Within a few minutes, Eric entered the kitchen with a beaming face."Someone looks pissed."

"Why the hell did you tell Alex everything? He has called you here because he wants to officially introduce you to my parents."

"I know that Ad. I'm here to play the role of your fake boyfriend, which by the way I'm enjoying a ton."

I can't believe this guy. How can he appear so chilled at this moment?

"Eric I'm done with all this okay," I blurted out. "Look, I made you my fake boyfriend because I wanted to make Adam jealous. I was stupid enough to think we still had a chance. I believed maybe if I pretend to be your girl, he might realise what he has lost and try to win me back but I was wrong. He's happy with Tessa and Sophie. So my plan was of no use. I don't need a fake boyfriend anymore."

Eric's smiley look now changed to an apprehensive one, he cupped my face with both his hands. "You found out about Sophie?"

I didn't have enough strength to look him in the eye and answer. Sophie's topic tore me apart every single time. She's a lovely kid and I can't deny that I enjoyed her company but the fact that she's Adam's kid is what hurts the most. "Yes. I saw them at the mall together."

"Are you okay Adaline?"

"I'm fine. After seeing Sophie, I have realised that it's time for me to move on. Adam can't be mine anymore," I replied and a tear escaped my eye. He lightly dabbed my face with the back of his hand and said, "It's okay. You'll move on soon."

"I hope so too."

"Look at me, I was crazy in love with Sienna a few years back but once I realised she can't reciprocate my feelings, I moved on. I mean obviously, it's not going to be easy but it's not impossible Adaline. Who knows, maybe you and Adam might end up becoming good friends like Sienna and me," he said and I rolled my eyes at him. I don't think I can ever be friends with Adam again. It's only going to sting me more, seeing him happy with some other woman.

Suddenly my phone buzzed and I checked it to find the most unexpected message of my life. It was from Tessa.

Can we meet?

I stared at the message for a few seconds. Why would she want to see me? I don't think I have done anything to ruin her perfectly happy family.

"Who's it?" Eric asked peeping on my phone. The moment he saw the text, he was stunned too. "Why does she want to meet you?"

"I don't know. Maybe Adam told her about my meeting with Sophie at the mall," I said and replied to Tessa's text message with a 'Sure'.  Honestly, it's good that she texted because I wanted to meet with her too. After seeing Sophie, I have finally put all the puzzles in its place. That day when I saw Tessa crying in the washroom, it was because of Adam. She must have found out that she's expecting and that's why Adam broke up with me. He knew he had to take responsibility for his child. That's why he never tried to win me back, he had found his happy place with Tessa and his child. He didn't need me anymore.

I was snapped out of my reverie by Eric's voice. "She wants to meet you at the rose cafe. Do you want me to tag along?"

"No. I can manage."

"Okay fine, but just promise me one thing."

"What?"

"Let's continue this fake relationship."

"What! Why would you want this Eric?"

"I don't know what happened between you two that tore you apart, but this is the only way I can help you Ad. I don't want you to look weak in front of Adam. That asshole is enjoying his life, you need to show him that you're having fun too."

I chuckled softly, Eric is a real sweetheart. Even though I felt bad for using him, he merrily wants me to continue doing it. I nod my head and give him a hug before leaving the house to meet Tessa. I inform Alex and Sienna that I'll be back before dinner. Sienna was a bit concerned to know that I was going alone to meet Tessa, she wanted to come along.

"Don't worry Si. It's time for me to close Adam and Tessa' chapter forever and start anew. I'll end everything today and be back before you know it." I winked at her which instantly brought a smile on her face.

***
Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Ps do you think Adaline will find the truth when she meets Tessa in the next chapter?

Please don't forget to vote and comment down below.

Thank you

Love you all <3