"I grew up with seven brothers," she says, adjusting her hair in the mirror. "We weren't a rich family, but we weren't poor either. We coasted. My father was a street vendor and my mother was a fortune teller, so I was raised by my brothers. They groomed me into an eighth brother, fashioning their boyish tendencies and I had to learn how to survive surrounded by boys. Three of them became imperial knights, and clearly, I learned a thing or two from them. What about you? Where'd you learn this male trade?"

"My father," I decided not to include any titles or formal speech because I'm a bit nervous of scaring away my new friend. "He and my two brothers would spar with me a bit. Other than that I learned sword skill from private classes, nothing quite as mundane as rough housing all day. Your family sounds nice though."

She nods in the mirror, pleased with her appearance. I didn't notice before but her nose was covered in a smattering of freckles. "So where's your family from?" She says as she turns to face me. "You're a pretty thing, so can I assume you come from money?"

"My family's from the Ewell Dukedom," I say, not technically lying, "We're not considered poor either, but I'm glad they were all in favor of me becoming an Imperial knight. My elder brothers passed the knight trial as well, so I hope they're in the stands somewhere watching on with pride."

"The Ewell Dukedom," she repeats, "I hear that's one of the most flourishing city states in Belmar. I'm originally from the capital but I've always wanted to visit, and if I don't win my duel today I was hoping to be chosen as a knight for the estate. Rumor has it that the family was blessed with beauty, and there are two eligible bachelors residing within its walls. Oh what a joy it'd be just to see them up close."

I want to laugh a bit, thinking about Thomas and Garrison being gawked at by Grace through a window. I can't really blame her though. When I first arrived as Lady Amalie, I too was taken aback by the beauty of each member of the Ewell Estate, and I've noticed quite a few maids looking their way as they make their rounds. "Pray tell," I said curiously, "I hear they also have a younger sister. What do the rumors make of her character?"

Grace scratches her cheek, pivoting her gaze upwards as she ponders my question. "The daughter, huh? Oh I remember! People said she's just as beautiful as the rest of the Ewell's, maybe even more, and she is everything a young lady ought to be. Regal, poised, graceful, patient, obedient," she says the words as she mimics exaggerated hand movements around her, laughing at the grandeur of high society. "She sounds boring if you ask me. What's the point of all the money, beauty, and power in the world if you just spend your days doing what your told and what's expected of you. Live a little, you know?"

I nodded along in earnest thoughtfulness. I understood where she was coming from since I thought the same thing when I read the book. Had the original Amalie spoken up for herself every now and then, she wouldn't have died due to her lack of initiative. I pitied her a bit.

"Yeah I know," I say, forcing out a laugh, "Sounds like a bore if you ask me."

We laugh together for a bit when Charlotte comes back into the dressing room. "Lady Amalie," she starts, "your meal is prepared. You need to regain your strength before the next trial." Her eyes shift between me and Grace before acknowledging the conversation in which she intervened. "Apologies My Lady, did I interrupt your discussion?"

"Lady Amalie?" Grace says, a bit in shock, "You're a Lady?"

"More than a Lady," Charlotte corrects, "She's the daughter of Duke Ewell." Grace's mouth gapes open at the news, realizing that she just bad mouthed one of the most powerful women in the kingdom to her face. I don't mind of course, though I'm glad to have cleared up a few misconceptions about my new identity. Hopefully she'll take this to the rumor mill as well.