CHAPTER XI

'Cause baby I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

LIONEL

I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Come in." I said without looking up from the papers I was reading. The door clicked open and my mate's sweet smell invaded my nostrils. The scent intoxicated my senses. In the little time she had been here even the sight of her had calmed me down. Her eyes reminded me of fresh-water springs. Her features were so beautiful she would have out-shined the moon goddess herself. She was poking her head through the door as though, she was still unsure if she was allowed to enter or not.

"Hey." I said smiling at her.

"Hi." she said in a small, nervous voice.

"What brings you here?" I asked.

"I'll go if you are busy..." she trailed looking at the bunch of papers on my desk.

"No, its okay. I always have time for you." I said throwing her a wink.

"What have I told you against flirting with me? Honestly, its cringy." she rolled her eyes.

"Hey I meant that!"

"Whatever."

She pulled a chair by the counter and sat down.

"Drinks?" I asked.

"Nah... I am allergic to alcohol. Makes my brain go all woozy." she waved her hand like she was trying to swat away a swarm of bees. I chuckled to myself.

I looked into her eyes. The hatred in her eyes was still evident but it had reduced by a huge factor. And there was something else too... self doubt. The anger was long gone. I may have smiled, because she cocked a brow quizzically. "What?" she asked.

"Nothing... I just love staring into your eyes, they are like mirrors to what you really hold in your heart." I said truthfully.

"You are getting all cheesy again!" she protested.

"I just can't help it." I raised my hands in surrender.

We sat in silence for some time. I could smell her uneasiness in the air. She did a good job hiding it... but not good enough to fool me. Something was making her nervous. I hoped it wasn't me. I had been told I could be scary. Although, her nervousness was of a different kind, like a person who isn't sure if they will win the bet. Like everything depended on one big, very important thing.

"I wanted to ask something." she said.

"Go on."

"I met Markus... yesterday afternoon. He said there's a temple to Trivia by the borders. I was wondering if I could- you know, go there." she said fidgeting with a piece of hair.

"I don't know Sapphire. You are a clever and powerful person..."

"And why does that mean I can't see my goddess?" she said narrowing her eyes, but the panic was clear in them. Something she wanted totally depended on me saying yes or no.

"I mean its by the border, you could leave." I carefully avoided 'run away'.

"You already stripped me of my powers, how could I?" there was a hint of anger in her voice.

Guilt clawed the pit of my stomach.

"You don't understand the mate bond... I wouldn't be able to survive without you. I mean I-I love you." I said.

"Its true, I don't know how you feel. But you do know how I feel, don't you? Look you have already captured me, I would say you are holding me prisoner. But you guys keep telling me that that's not the case. Just let me feel free for once. I am so far from home... this might be the only thing that might help me. And you are keeping me here because you want to win my trust, isn't it? And trust works in two ways, if you can't trust me how can I?"