Chapter 10

Carly woke up in a soft bed in a place she didn't recognise. Nearby Bekken was slowly stirring a cooking pot. The smell wafted over to her and made her instantly hungry. Her stomach growled in approval. Sitting up in the bed and took in her surroundings. The place was neatly furnished and the nearby window let in soft light and a gentle breeze. Struggling to her feet, she started to walk around the room, the cold stone floors instantly chilling her.

Bekken turned to face her, "Sit, you need to eat and rest.... Baby needs food. You need rest."

Carly felt strained but it was good to walk. "Im not getting back into bed, I'm just going to move around, the blood flow feels good." She hobbled around a bit more while Bekken ladled the food into bowls.

Bekken showed her the bowl, "Sit, eat.... Come now."

The sat together at a wooden table and ate in silence. Bekken studied her for a moment before continuing to eat.

"When is Setg coming?" Carly was worried about him.

"Not for a while...." Bekken chose his words carefully.... "He will contact when he can." He continued watching Carly.... Calculating....

Carly felt unease about the healer. Something didn't feel that right, but she didn't have much chance to meet many other Yuatja. Setg used to show her around the ship, but soon became protective of her a kept her in the room. Not that she had to complain; she was sick and weak most of the time and just wanted to sleep all day. Now she knew it was due to her pregnancy, she wished she learnt more about them. "Have you had to deal with many humans before?" She inquired.

Bekken snorted. "Oomans are interesting. Almost like Yuatja... complicated in another way. I ooman healer, I study.. learn...the best."

Carly was amazed, "so tell me more about you..."

Bekken tilted his head in curiosity. No one never asked about himself before and yet it was a ooman to ask.... He cleared his throat and began to tell. "My father is some warrior and bred with my mother, after about five years, I was old enough to leave the clan and head out on my own. I travelled a bit and headed towards to.... You call Earth?... with a hunting party. I hunted a few oomans..."

Carly interjected between gulps of soup... "Wait you left at the age of five? and you hunt humans?"

Bekken nodded "Pregnancy is quick... males are adults in three or four years... females are adults in about ten.... Female babies are rare, males plentiful... need to hunt, earn respect to gain breeding with female. Sex with female always for breeding, never pleasure...she wants seed and leaves... females rule societies... males for war... hunts... aggressive behaviours... many females don't bother with hunting... too boring... sex no fun for them either, its only good for a little while, then she lose interest.... Males that don't die from hunting may live long time.... Setg's father Ramses is ancient. Old bastard won't die easily... hahaha.. but only had two babies....could many females... but no... he is.... Different."

Carly grew quiet and felt uneasy..."But you hunted.....us...."

Bekken was confused for a moment but then realised what Carly meant. "Some clans... only hunt oomans, some only hunt dragons, some clans hunt other yuatja clans... depends on clan... my clan... we hunt anything... Setg's clan different... they.... Balance to clans .... But we make trophies from the hunt..." Bekken narrowed his eyes at Carly...." You different kind of trophy.... Make Setg proud."

Carly felt sick.... Her partner had hunted humans ... but then he did rescue her from her psychotic boyfriend. She felt conflicted... but he had never hurt her and he seemed perfectly happy... maybe it was something she didn't understand... or want to.... Setg made her feel safe and that's all that mattered.