THE MISERABLE MILL

- THE MISERABLE MILL PT 1 -
"I do love a good coupon it has to be said."

"WE'RE ALMOST OUT OF THE WOODS

"WE'RE ALMOST OUT OF THE WOODS."

"Key word: almost." Cara sighed impatiently as she swung a leg over a large log that blocked their path of the overcast forest that surrounded them with towering trees and immense roots.

They had a quiet and boring journey on the truck before Violet went to look where they were and the driver saw them through the rear-view mirror and kicked them off, yelling at them to get jobs. So, the four of them were just left to walk to Lucky Smells Lumbermill instead of taking a truck that would take them straight to it.

"We're nearly there." Klaus rephrased as he climbed over the log too and ended up walking by her side so all three were in a row and Sunny was held in Violet's arms, safe from the blistering journey. "Look at the chimneys, they're bigger so we're closer."

"Not close enough." Cara narrowed her eyes up at the large chimneys she could see through a gap in the leaves in front of her. "I mean, why does it have to be so far away? Surely they don't want to make more pollution by having to drive a longer distanc- oh, we're here."

Whilst speaking, she had been wading her way through the large amount of branches and leaves in front of her and mid-sentence, she had pushed past the last branch and saw a heavily damaged village with what looked like charred wood lining the streets up until Lucky Smells Lumbermill stood ahead.

Cara scrunched her nose up at the sight of the town before glancing at Klaus as he pulled out the picture of their parents and compared the depiction of the flourishing town to the now miserable one.

As a loud horn blew from the mill, the orphans all glanced at each other and furrowed their eyebrows sceptically at the difference in settings.

"It looks like there was a fire here." Klaus commented as they walked through the village, Lucky Smells becoming closer as they made their journey. "Everything's gone."

"Not everything." Violet replied, staring ahead of them at the wooden gate that had the name of the mill printed out on it, at least Cara thought.

"Lucky Smells Lumbermill." Klaus read, Cara nodding to herself slowly as he confirmed her thoughts. She looked around the town as they kept walking, eyeing the blackened wood with distaste.

"Maybe this is where all the clues lead us." Violet looked at the two next to her, shrugging her shoulders softly as Cara stared at her interestedly. "The secret safe and the strange photographs at Aunt Josephine's."

"The secret message and the strange statue lady at Uncle Monty's." Klaus added with a small, lazy smile.

"Count Olaf." Cara added too, shrugging as she fiddled slightly with the sleeves of her raincoat which went over her hands, made for an adult instead of a 13-year-old girl.