THE END

- THE END -
"They were kids."

SOMEHOW CARA WAS EVEN MORE TERRIFIED OF WATER THAN BEFORE

Perhaps part of the reason was because she now knew she had lost her memory from almost drowning, perhaps it was the fact that she'd been under the water and been attacked by a massive sea monster that no one knew the name of. Or perhaps it was the fact that Count Olaf, in all of his dirty and muddy glory, was stood on the bow of their sailboat declaring his triumph.

Like usual, he had forced Violet, Klaus, Cara and Sunny to do the labour such as rowing the boat. But given the circumstances, it was just Violet and Klaus rowing whilst Cara sat opposite and let her knuckles grow white with the force she was gripping the edges of the boat with. Her pale face was almost green, her eyes dazed and fixed to the panels at the bottom of the boat.

Leaving the Hotel Denouement behind to burn to the ground didn't put such a guilty weight on Cara's heart as she thought it would; maybe it was the fact that her entire time in the building had been abysmal, except for one special moment, and burning the building might help her burn the memories gained and revisited inside of it. Maybe she just simply didn't have any empathy or apologies for anybody caught and left in that fire.

They had tried their best to warn everyone, they had tried their best to outsmart the villains in every way, but it had never been enough. And Cara didn't know about the Baudelaires, but she was done running. Even though she technically couldn't run anywhere anyway because she was sat on a small boat with her friends and the man who relentlessly pursued them for a taste of their fortunes.

"I've triumphed!" Said man proclaimed as he stood on the boat, looking out at the wide stretches of aquamarine water that lay brightly despite the dismal atmosphere of the sunny day. "I've burned down the Hotel Denouement, destroyed V.F.D once and for all and the orphans are finally in my clutches! At last, their fortunes are mine!"

"So you keep telling us." Klaus rolled his eyes, glancing back at Olaf who held the harpoon gun in one hand and the Medusoid Mycelium under his other arm. Klaus had shed his blazer for some reprieve of the sun burning down onto them and Cara would've appreciated it had she not been seconds from throwing up.

"The first thing I'll buy is a new car." Count Olaf said excitedly, his eyes glimmering as Violet and Klaus abandoned their rowing and pulled the oars back onto their boat, the wooden paddles resting either side of Cara. "Something with a big engine so I can drive faster than the speed limit and ram into other cars unsuspected. Orphans, head to the nearest car dealership!"

"We can't head anywhere," Violet sighed, looking up at Olaf as he moved his arm in a commanding motion as though he were Carmelita playing pirates; Cara shook her head at him. "The wind has died and we're exhausted from rowing."

"Laziness is no excuse." Count Olaf leaned against the mast of the ship, glaring at Violet as she rubbed her arms tiredly. Cara frowned as she looked around the expanse of water they were stranded in, images of her mind from the Lachrymose Leeches flashing into her brain. "You orphans are the worst henchpeople I've ever acquired."